• IMG_2058.JPG
    IMG_2058.JPG
    770.9 KB · Views: 111

snaps

May 6, 2009
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Goldmaxx, Compass GSP, Garrett Infinium
Nice find! I found a large cent once with 2 missing numbers on the date. You wouldnt think its wear,the other letters would show it too

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i agree it does look like wear but love the coin

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin, but I agree with everyone else here that the e is just worn off. The coin shows lots of wear on different places.

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
An "E" (or any other letter, numeral or device) cannot simply "wear" off of a coin all by themselves......this is most likely a grease filled die and the "E" was clogged preventing it from being struck up properly.

HH all!

Greg

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally with a missing letter I would agree with the grease filled die, but in this case the letter is incused on the coin meaning it would be raised on the die. With a raised letter on the die there is no void to be filled with grease or debris.

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Normally with a missing letter I would agree with the grease filled die, but in this case the letter is incused on the coin meaning it would be raised on the die. With a raised letter on the die there is no void to be filled with grease or debris.

Ummm.....you're absolutely right!......was thinking raised and not incused.....OK, new answer would be possibly be that the raised "E" on the die simply broke off leaving no trace (hard to tell from the pic) of the E.....Thank you for the correction l.cutler!

HH all!
Greg

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're right about it probably having broken off, because I can still see a trace of the "E" when I zoom in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread