Odd Color Penny

ShinyPackRat

Oct 11, 2017
Montana, edge of nowhere
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think at this point I have seen almost every other color of the rainbow for pennies but this might be the first one I would describe as purple. Does anybody have any idea what would cause this? I can't imagine it is a mint error, but I've been wrong before... so I suppose you never know.
Note: penny has full pinwheel when put in the light, so it seems in good condition. Coin weighs 3.11g, which is what I would expect it to. The mintmark is filled but as I understand it that isn't uncommon for 70's coins.

S20180128_0002.jpg

S20180128_0003.jpg

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Nothing unusual here. Just another lightly oxidized penny. Copper can oxidize to a variety of colors, including a
variety of purples, depending on the specifics of environmental exposure.

Time for more coffee.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Coins placed in brown paper bags and left on a windowsill which gets a lot of sunlight can cause such toning. This is due to the chemical reaction as the brown paper bag degrades (breaks down). Some unscrupulous Coin Dealers place Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars and sometimes other Silver Coins, use this method to tone the coins to get higher prices for the coins on eBay. They often state that the toning is natural when it is not. Copper Cents washed lightly with certain soaps will often take on beautiful purple and magenta colored toning which can be aided by placing them where they can get some sunlight after the washing.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've seen some over the years, recycled into the wild.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly heat applied to that coin?

SS

Top Member Reactions