Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
At the last two gun shows I put copies up for sale (fakes) including 4 1804s, side by side, but clearly marked "COPY" I sold all 4 for $5 each. They cost me $1.40 including shipping.

I have been carrying a 1893-S in my pocket to see how it wears, my thought is as it wears you will see brass but when I cut it it is cupra-nickel so may look like silver or silvery wear. I would like to carry a real Morgan or Peace dollar but would hate to lose a $15 coin, a $1.40 coin is different. I get questions when I pull change out of my pocket, "what is that" etc.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
a local dealer i check in with has a lazer device that can pick out fakes even .... encapsulated ...supposedly NOTHING gets by .... I wonder how many times he got stung with before he sprung for that device...

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
a local dealer i check in with has a lazer device that can pick out fakes even .... encapsulated ...supposedly NOTHING gets by .... I wonder how many times he got stung with before he sprung for that device...

heard those cost in the 5 figures

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Since we are on the subject of FAKE coins, of those of you that served in the military overseas, did you ever see U S Coins on display in foreign country markets? silver coins on display, prices, or BLACK MARKET items. Comments

RudyT

Nov 23, 2017
LaPorte, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve heard that there are people that pay good money for fakes. Has anyone heard about that?

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I would never sell a fake without it being permanently marked COPY. I buy them for $1.40 including shipping and sell them at a gunshow for $5 each, the hobo dollars I will try to get $10 as they look great but again I let them know they are copies and they are all marked

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions