Cleaning coins

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm seeing a lot of really cool coins being found but I see almost as many replies about not cleaning the coin. I under stand the thought behind this because of damage that can be done to the coin with brushes or harsh scrubbers.. How do some of you veteran coin hunters "clean" up you finds? Up to today, Iv'e never heard of the PCGS (Another reason why I like this site, always new information to be learned) Some members recommended sending his coin to them to be cleaned. There seems to be a lot of new members posting their first finds so thanks for any advise on this subject. It might help some newbies and one old timer(me)

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's worth anything have it professionally cleaned. I use distilled water soaks and a microscope and soft tools with copper and bronze coins

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i ever find a coin worth anything i will likely destroy it. For some reason i can't stop myself from cleaning it. I guess i am a hands on kinda guy!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to see posted how the "professionals" clean coins. Just what method do THEY use? I have found very few "rare" coins, so, it's not a big issue with me so far, but, I have a couple, that if they weren't corroded, would be worth $500+. The other more common date coins, I just clean myself to whatever state I'm happy with. I usually use a coin-in-vinegar-on-aluminum method followed by a baking soda rub. Granted, that will sometimes take a bit more off the coin than desired, but, before the soak, they were awful looking anyway. Most of the time, that will get very good results with silver items. Copper is always tough when they get green "volcanos" all over them. I haven't found a good method that will remove them without removing details and desirable features also.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For new coins, a quick swipe with acetone will take off grease from fingers, etc. For dug coins, unless they are rare, don't bother. You can throw copper coins (newer ones) together in a tumbler to get junk off. Only takes a few minutes. For clad, do them separately. Never do it on a key date or anything silver. Then they will be ready to dump back at a bank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread