Dealer Etiquette?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You are a smart man. I'll repost what I posted yesterday--

I would think it would be more along the line of trading in a car with an altered VIN number. I think the OP should respond by sending a registered letter to the buyer offering to buy back the coin at 50 dollars a month interest free.

There are laws specific to altered VIN numbers as there are to altered coins. It's hard telling what the court would rule in this situation but the OP did get the benefit of the 2200 dollars and should try to be fair within his ability to do so.* - Gary Kemper

P.S. Judging by some of the responses here, I don't think some can deal with multiple issues and look out for the best interest of the OP.

First prove the altered vin# occurred prior to the sale. See how that works?
Coin was not registered through a certificate of origin. Making the comparison a crude one.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I think Chet-Lemon can be the best judge of character of the buyer. Sure,anything is possible ,but I have no reason to believe that the buyer was unethical.

Caveat Emptor. / Caveat Kemp-er.
Imagine the buyer scams that would result if claims of altered goods could be claimed AFTER the item is out of the sellers sight and control.....

TwistedT

Nov 15, 2014
Westmoreland County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher F5,
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a smart man. I'll repost what I posted yesterday--

I would think it would be more along the line of trading in a car with an altered VIN number. I think the OP should respond by sending a registered letter to the buyer offering to buy back the coin at 50 dollars a month interest free.

There are laws specific to altered VIN numbers as there are to altered coins. It's hard telling what the court would rule in this situation but the OP did get the benefit of the 2200 dollars and should try to be fair within his ability to do so.* - Gary Kemper

P.S. Judging by some of the responses here, I don't think some can deal with multiple issues and look out for the best interest of the OP.

i dont know what you posted yesterday since it says right now you only have 1 post (this one)

This was a business agreement in the dealers chosen business.
OP did not set price or force dealer to buy said coin.
dealer offered to buy said coin - dealer checked coin - said deal.

Ask any legit coin dealer if this has happened to them - they will say yep.

have they ever gone after the seller because they didnt know what they were doing and bought a coin for more than its worth --- Nope. chalk it up as learning experience.
think its a case of buyers remorse and now hes trying to get his money back

thats the price of doing business - its his chosen profession not the OP's

some days you're the windshield some days you're the bug!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Troll banned and all posts deleted.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't have to imagine anything. Just base your opinion on what the OP presented and don't make unsubstantiated claims against the buyer.

I'm not the one accusing the seller of selling an altered coin after I inspected it multiple times.
I'd lawyer up in a heart beat if accused of fraud. Not agree with the buyer and pacify him without actually knowing if the coin I sold was altered or not.
You are free to believe otherwise.

A buyer can claim many things. I'll believe what I know of what I sell.
Blow an engine I had no trouble with after buying from me and I'm I'm fine with it. No control over what you do after the sale ,and not going to pay you for your error. 5hat does not prove fraud.

Have a nice day Kemp.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post deleted for rule violation and assumption was wrong, they are totally different people.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No assumption... merely pointing out...
And obvious 2 separate people.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
No assumption... merely pointing out...
And obvious 2 separate people.

:dontknow: I missed it.....deleted too quick.
People ,or I.P. address's ? Or poster posting replies to self as another poster? Or one poster using multiple I.P. addresses?

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just throwing this out there...
Kemper, you aren’t welcome here, please go away.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was "obvious" and was referring to you.

Now... as far as my "tin foil cap"...

I am a wizard who fell on hard times... sold my hat to keep the lightning on.
Tin foil is just a temporary fix.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
732.jpg

Attachments

• 32da67d8d0e9170ae2f79b6e664ebb54-willy-wonka-quotes-the-playroom.jpg
    32da67d8d0e9170ae2f79b6e664ebb54-willy-wonka-quotes-the-playroom.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 47

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not the one accusing the seller of selling an altered coin after I inspected it multiple times.
I'd lawyer up in a heart beat if accused of fraud. Not agree with the buyer and pacify him without actually knowing if the coin I sold was altered or not.
You are free to believe otherwise.

A buyer can claim many things. I'll believe what I know of what I sell.
Blow an engine I had no trouble with after buying from me and I'm I'm fine with it. No control over what you do after the sale ,and not going to pay you for your error. 5hat does not prove fraud.

if I'm not mistaken there is actually a Double Standard .

it's called "the Customer is Always Right"

If a Dealer sells you an Altered coin. He is Duty Bound to Make things Right. accident or Not.

if a Dealer Buys an Altered coin from a Customer. The Dealer Screwed up.
His loss unless the Customer
wants to Make good , or can be proven to be a scammer

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Troll banned posts deleted, they will always be deleted.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if I'm not mistaken there is actually a Double Standard .

it's called "the Customer is Always Right"

If a Dealer sells you an Altered coin. He is Duty Bound to Make things Right. accident or Not.

if a Dealer Buys an Altered coin from a Customer. The Dealer Screwed up.
His loss unless the Customer
wants to Make good , or can be proven to be a scammer

Agreed.
Well said Jeff (and not arse kissing.)

PS...
I want to just clarify to all reading these / my posts... I made no accusations... pointed no finger... just pointed out the possibility FOR and ON behalf of the OP... with the only intention being to make him "hip" to the "possibility" / "capability" of a scam / etc.

An enlightened man can be a wiser man.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed.
Well said Jeff (and not arse kissing.)

PS...
I want to just clarify to all reading these / my posts... I made no accusations... pointed no finger... just pointed out the possibility FOR and ON behalf of the OP... with the only intention being to make him "hip" to the "possibility" / "capability" of a scam / etc.

An enlightened man can be a wiser man.

I had the same........Concerns? After reading.

There are "set-ups" to make the dealer feel comfortable, overlook, etc.... Working off what I call "his own greed"(and we all have it to a point). Helps mask it.

Some dealers are just as shady.

I bought some junk, Fake, altered coins, and there was nothing I could do about it. If someone walks up to the counter and says.." how much will you give me for this?" etc................ It happens and it's the buyers fault too.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and I would highly suggest you inspect any and all paperwork stating that the coin has been tampered with CLOSELY before returning ANY monies...

IF that is what you so choose to do.

5hcFYJr.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In fact... and not to go on and on...

I would NOT return money if I were you IF there is no paperwork FROM a legitimate coin company.

And not a copy of one either.

You must scrutinize this paperwork as to the ability to be forged / altered via a copier or computer.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also... Make sure the coin he hands you back IS the SAME coin you handed him.

Now I know I might hear your thought right now... "they all look the same to me".

THIS is how this is carried out by unscrupulous / greedy people... they feed off the weakness / non knowledgeable in their field victim.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Past experience says,"If a dealer thinks he can get away with screwing you,any dealer no matter in dealing whatever,he will definitely try to screw you if he thinks he will get away with it.Especially if large amounts of money are to be made off of screwing you".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread