Missplaced Mint Marks

ShinyPackRat

Oct 11, 2017
Montana, edge of nowhere
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this pair of pennies today while going through a box. Is it just me, or does the mint mark look like it is a little farther to the right than it should be? Then again, I might be seeing things :laughing7:
As best I can tell the reverses look completely normal, so I didn't bother. I'll gladly take more pictures if you folks think it is necessary.

S20180206_0001.jpg S20180206_0002.jpg

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I'm not sure what your point is. Dies are made from a master die in Philly. For branch mints, the mint marks are added later when the die is received at the branch mint. Now consider the lifespan of a die and that many dies are used to produce a branch mint's production run. Hence, in a production run, there will be multiple sets of dies used and each set had the mint mark added separate from the master die. Are you under the impression that the mint mark was added to the master die and all die pairings were created from that master die? Did you think that a branch mint had a master die that subsequent years were created from with only a change to the date?

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
They appear normal to me. asset.jpeg

OP
OP
S

ShinyPackRat

Oct 11, 2017
Montana, edge of nowhere
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you under the impression that the mint mark was added to the master die and all die pairings were created from that master die? Did you think that a branch mint had a master die that subsequent years were created from with only a change to the date?

Definitely not, These were two coins I found that had a similar characteristic (the mint mark location). I wasn't implying anything about the mint mark being on the master die. I was not suggesting that these two different dated coins were made from the same die, only that they appear to have a similar characteristic. I probably should have only posted one.

That said though, weren't the mint marks added to the die itself at some point? I forget what year that would have been (assuming that is even right). Late 1990's, maybe?

Reference picture; the coin on top is a "normal" 1988, the coin on the bottom is one of the ones pictured above.
The 'normal' coin looks like it has the mint mark inbetween the 9 and 8, whereas the bottom looks like it is lined up below the first 8.
I am definitely seeing a difference.. but perhaps I should look at it again after getting some sleep, I've been up too long anyway.

S20180206_0001.jpg

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Your Lincoln Cents appear to be normal.

From the early 1980s, (my brain wants me to say 1982, but that may be off by a year or two) the mint marks on all dies were added to hubs at the die manufacturing division within the Philadelphia Mint. Prior to that change, mint marks were added to working dies at the branch mints.

This means that prior to that change in the process of manufacturing dies, there could be quite a difference in mint mark location. Yours, however, are quite within standards. The minor difference, between your 1988 and 1989 cents, are due to differences between two hubs used to make working dies.

Finally time for coffee.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mint marks at that time were punched onto the die by hand. They can be anywhere under the date.

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ShinyPackRat, I DO see the alignment difference! Obviously though, there are real experts here. I knew none of this until their posts. Makes me second guess a lot of the mint errors I look for and some that I've found. I was under the impression that coins were to be "same", at least to a point. At what point does that cross over to being a viable error? And, is that subjective..? Who's deciding this stuff???

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Your Lincoln Cents appear to be normal.

From the early 1980s, (my brain wants me to say 1982, but that may be off by a year or two) the mint marks on all dies were added to hubs at the die manufacturing division within the Philadelphia Mint. Prior to that change, mint marks were added to working dies at the branch mints.

This means that prior to that change in the process of manufacturing dies, there could be quite a difference in mint mark location. Yours, however, are quite within standards. The minor difference, between your 1988 and 1989 cents, are due to differences between two hubs used to make working dies.

Finally time for coffee.

Hopefully, after the extra coffee, you realized that the magic date is 1990. Before 1990, the mint marks were added at the branch mint and vary from each working die. After 1990, they mint marks were added to the master die and subsequently remain in the same location for every subsequent working die.

OP
OP
S

ShinyPackRat

Oct 11, 2017
Montana, edge of nowhere
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the consensus is that there can be a minor amount of deviation among pre1990 mintmarks and it is still considered normal. I'm just glad I'm not seeing things :)
I'd like to second Bodkin's question; How far off would it have to be before it is considered abnormal? Anywhere NOT under the date, especially if under/on other design pieces?

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enamel is always right----------------BUT____________________the 1975-D nickel with "high MM" across from hair bow is RARE. sold mine in XF condition for over FIDDY BUCKS

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I was off by a few years. Such is memory in my post stroke world.

Still time for more coffee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread