Electrolysis on a King George II halfpenny?

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try warm peroxide 1st,
then go to a wet Brillo pad under running water-- few seconds LIGHT rub- check as you go until details emerge
electrolysis will remove crud but the pitting will be quite severe
if you are content with the Brillo results, then a LIGHT polish with #800 to 1200 wet/dry sandpaper-- again-- under running water for a few seconds to highlight details. finish with coat of beeswax. remember-- crap will come off but you can't add back what you remove--- so BE GENTLE

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have tried electrolysis on several coins and it's a mixed bag of results. Sometimes they clean up nicely while at other times I end up making it worse. There are other ways of cleaning coins so just do your research. Basically it comes down to one question, are you willing to risk taking a chance on making the coin possibly worse off than it already is? Some coins are just better left as is. It's all a judgment call. Good luck.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Electrolysis will destroy bronze coins, I have also seen it destroy a Roma silver coin.

SS

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Bathe the coin in Acetone for a few minutes to arrest the Verdigris (the specs of green which can and will destroy the coin if not dealt with), then rinse with water, then soak in Mineral Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil for several weeks or more, checking it periodically with a toothpick or green Rose Thorn by picking at the corrosion and encrustations on the coin. If luck is with you, most if not all of the corrosion and encrustations will come off, revealing more details.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread