Calling all Coin experts! A very unusual penny. Any ideas?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Brother found this penny in his change a few years ago. Any idea on what happened to it?

IMG_2621.JPG IMG_2622.JPG

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is odd. Is it zinc or copper?
I am not sure what happened here. It is definitely something I have never seen from a contaminated die. Someone will chime in I am curious.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if it is Zink or copper. When i get home this evening i will do the drop test and see.
thanks for looking, It has me perplexed

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
This appears to be a "sandwiched" coin, maybe squeezed in a vice with another coin/medal/token.....weird design left behind but the damage is similar (especially on the obverse) to a sandwiched coin.....

HH all!

Greg

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This appears to be a "sandwiched" coin, maybe squeezed in a vice with another coin/medal/token.....weird design left behind but the damage is similar (especially on the obverse) to a sandwiched coin.....

HH all!

Greg
That would explain the flattened worn appearance of the Obverse for sure. I like it

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes perfect sense. I did not think it was an error coin but was trying to figure out how it got that way. I was thinking maybe a vending machine issue but vise sounds better.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am almost certain that the O.P's 1982-P Lincoln Cent is a Copper plated Zinc Cent. The coin has the appearance that it was Double Struck on the Reverse. However, the second strike has the appearance of having been struck by a completely different Die and possibly from a Foreign Coin Die. Therefore, it is my opinion that the coin is likely man-made and not done at the Philadelphia Mint. Of course, I could be wrong and better close-up pics might help in the determination of what actually happened to the coin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it have any value?

Nope, no monetary value but lots of learning value. If i ever come across another coin like this i will know what i am looking at.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

HH all!

Greg

I had this Thread up for about an hour and did not refresh my computer's browser, so I did not see your post before posting. The compression damage to the Obverse of the coin, is definitely the first clue. Sorry!

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had this Thread up for about an hour and did not refresh my computer's browser, so I did not see your post before posting. The compression damage to the Obverse of the coin, is definitely the first clue. Sorry!
Thank you, LOL nothing to be sorry about. Great information!

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a long shot here... But kinda looks like it went into one of those penny machines at the zoo or amusement parks where you can flatten it and out come a souvenir. Just didn't make it all the way thru

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions