BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all.

I'm curious what grade most of you would give this coin. The unusual thing about it is it has spent about the last 50 years sewn into a leather pouch. I'm pretty sure the leather is what stained the dark areas.

My completely uneducated guess on the grade would be maybe XF40 give or take a grade. I'm just not sure how much that staining hurts the grade/value.

I tried including pics with and without flash. Hopefully some of the photos are decent enough to grade from.

Thanks in advance.

kNbQ3wW.jpg

yUitnLm.jpg

wfOwGp3.jpg

2efztK4.jpg

cxnsYhv.jpg

HillBilly244

May 4, 2013
I would say you are right on probably. I was going to say maybe AU50 at most but your are probably right on at 40. Send it in and find out!:)

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say you are right on probably. I was going to say maybe AU50 at most but your are probably right on at 40. Send it in and find out!:)

Thanks Buddy. From what little I have checked into professional grading services, they seem really expensive. It would probably only be worth it for rare or uncirculated coins. Then again, I don't know much about coin collecting. :laughing7:

HillBilly244

May 4, 2013
If you go to the big coin shows like here in Raleigh, the companies always come and have deals like 9 dollars a coin

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you go to the big coin shows like here in Raleigh, the companies always come and have deals like 9 dollars a coin

Cool. I'll have to check out some local coin shows to see what kind of deals they offer.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO This coin is not worth spending the $9 bucks on for a slab. It is very common and not excellent enough to justify the extra cost. The pictures are not good enough as the high grading happens with the fine feathers of the breast on this coin, if my memory serves me, Nice coin. Tell us the sewn up in leather story? The coin that is...

HillBilly244

May 4, 2013
I agree with trdking, i wouldn't get anything graded unless it was a key date or really old and you knew it was worth good money. I have a few that are worth anywhere from $400 - $1000 and i would like to get them graded sometime.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMO This coin is not worth spending the $9 bucks on for a slab. It is very common and not excellent enough to justify the extra cost. The pictures are not good enough as the high grading happens with the fine feathers of the breast on this coin, if my memory serves me, Nice coin. Tell us the sewn up in leather story? The coin that is...

I don't know much about why it was in the leather. I just remember my Grandfather having it ever since I could remember. After he passed I kept it for years before I opened it to see what it was. I just knew it was a silver dollar, not what kind.

Here is the leather.

etBzLsE.jpg
IJUISA3.jpg

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know much about why it was in the leather. I just remember my Grandfather having it ever since I could remember. After he passed I kept it for years before I opened it to see what it was. I just knew it was a silver dollar, not what kind.

Here is the leather.

etBzLsE.jpg
IJUISA3.jpg
That is incredibly cool. I would return the dollar back to it and stitch it up. I carry a piece of silver always. Silver attracts wealth and heath. I believe this was your grandfathers talisman and it is now yours. Stitch her in and carry her. It works

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is incredibly cool. I would return the dollar back to it and stitch it up. I carry a piece of silver always. Silver attracts wealth and heath. I believe this was your grandfathers talisman and it is now yours. Stitch her in and carry her. It works

Thanks. I have been thinking about doing exactly that. It's not like I would ever sell it anyways.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin is priceless inside this leather pouch. Silver only works when it is given to you or found. You can't just go buy a piece and carry it. This is perfect.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doesn't matter the grade. Its priceless when you hear the story....I would sew it back in and carry it on to the next generations.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to be clear, I wasn't asking for the grade to sell it. I was just curious and to also use it as a learning process for future grading of coins. I would never sell it just like i would never sell the S&W K frame .38 spl that was his.

And when I say "never", I mean unless my family was starving and I had exhausted all other avenues.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all.

I'm curious what grade most of you would give this coin. The unusual thing about it is it has spent about the last 50 years sewn into a leather pouch. I'm pretty sure the leather is what stained the dark areas.

My completely uneducated guess on the grade would be maybe XF40 give or take a grade. I'm just not sure how much that staining hurts the grade/value.

I tried including pics with and without flash. Hopefully some of the photos are decent enough to grade from.

Thanks in advance.

kNbQ3wW.jpg

yUitnLm.jpg

wfOwGp3.jpg

2efztK4.jpg

cxnsYhv.jpg

With out looking at the reply's I'd say XF -40 , maybe VF-35 ( Morgan's usually get a favorable Grade ).
Nice Coin.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I completely agree.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Just to be clear, I wasn't asking for the grade to sell it. I was just curious and to also use it as a learning process for future grading of coins. I would never sell it just like i would never sell the S&W K frame .38 spl that was his.

And when I say "never", I mean unless my family was starving and I had exhausted all other avenues.

XF would be a fair grade.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread