Help ID'ing a colonial copper

elemerica

Jan 26, 2010
Bellingham, MA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had posted this in today's finds recently thinking it was probably a KG III, but another member suggested it might be a William III, primarily due to the hair tie. Hopefully someone here can help a bit more with the ID.

Here's a link to it on Imgur: https://i.imgur.com/ZLFaZ0h.jpg

Here's an attached copy:
View attachment ZLFaZ0h.jpg

Here's a similar example of a William III: Halfpenny from 1699 - UNITED KINGDOM 1694-01 - William III - The Coin Database
Here's a bunch of other William III coins: 1694-01 - William III United Kingdom coins grouped by similar design and value - The Coin Database

This was dug in the Bellingham/Blackstone MA area. I've pulled a handful of large coat buttons, a 1786 Connecticut copper, a couple pewter utensil pieces from the same site. I don't know much about the site though, I stumbled on to it through sheer dumb luck. It's two cellar holes about 8-10ft apart with some stone walls running off into the distance around them. According to 1870's maps there was a railroad nearby but there is no sign of this homesite or a road near it on that map. I'm guessing it must have been abandon/forgotten by then...

Thanks for any help!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread