1909 S V.D.B found detecting

dsmikle

Apr 7, 2018
Southwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What should be done if anything to store this coin? Is it real? 0402180005.jpg 0402180006.jpg

DarknessFalls

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2018
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, your pictures aren’t good enough to verify authenticity. It the 1909-S VDB is one of the most highly counterfeited coins out there. There are more fakes in existence than authentic coins left. Here is a link to one resource to help verify what you have.

https://www.pcgs.com/News/Counterfeit-Vs-Authentic-1909-s-Vdb-Lincoln-Cents

Remember that all die varieties that were used while making this coin are known and documented. If it doesn’t match the known authentic dies, it’s counterfeit. Hope this helps!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
There are only 2 ways to fake a 1909 S VDB, that is to add an S to the 1909 VDB, or to add the VDB to a 1909 S (which would rarely be done, since the 1909 s is rare in its own right. For you, the question is, "Is the S added, and why would someone add an S, and then lose it so you could find it detecting?" I would guess it is likely real. The other scenarios are not likely. The question now is, how do you get rid of as much junk on the coin as possible without harsh cleaning, and how do you stabilize the surface so no new corrosion comes up. I would start with a warm soapy water bath. I would not scrub it at all, but soak it, and then use a thorn from a rose plant to flick off the dirt (rose thorns are quite good for this, they are not strong enough to hurt the coin, but can dig a bit into sand or dirt on the surface). Be careful, take your time, and everything should come out OK...

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
In my neck of the woods pennies don't come out of the ground looking like that.

OP
OP
D

dsmikle

Apr 7, 2018
Southwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepseeker in southwest Missouri you can dig one and its toast but a foot away be in good shape. In same field penny was found i dug Barber dime that only reverse side was readable. Usually silver does ok. Acidity of soil i think but not sure.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it's real, only because why would someone make a fake and not be trying to sell it. Hope it can clean up for you, after that it might grade as VF+ or better, with full wheat ears. Big congrats. Give us the story on how you found it etc.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find and I believe it is a genuine 1909-S "VDB" Lincoln Cent! First off, you need to arrest the Verdigris on the coin and then protect it from further damage. Bathe the coin in Acetone for a minute or so to stop the chemical process of the Verdigris, rinse with water, pat dry in the folds of a soft towel, then soak the coin in Mineral Oil for at least a few days. When removed from the Mineral Oil, some of the Verdigris and any grime/dirt may come off with a light rubbing with a soft finger tip. Once you have done all you can or want to do with cleaning the coin, pat it somewhat dry of the Mineral Oil, then place in a 2x2 protective coin holder. The coin appears to have at the least Extra Fine details. However, due to the damage from the Verdigris, if actually graded it would likely take a downgrade to a F-15 to VF-20 Net Grade with damage.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Coins in SWMO come in a myriad of flavors...:thumbsup:
DSC00353.JPG P1091167.JPG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would NOT do anything to do, but send it one of the professional grading services, have them conserve it and slab it. If you start cleaning it, you may wreck the value.

NICE find.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks great, to me, but getting it professionally authenticated and graded - is worth the investment, if its real...!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I would NOT do anything to do, but send it one of the professional grading services, have them conserve it and slab it. If you start cleaning it, you may wreck the value.

NICE find.

Using Acetone to arrest the Verdigris and Mineral Oil to stabilize the metal of the coin is not really cleaning the coin and does no harm whatsoever to it unless it is left too long in the Acetone. Most Coin Dealers use the same method when needed, even on coins that they are sending in for certification and grading and I have never known PCGS or NGC to peg them with any type of "Cleaned" notation on the holder's label. Also, a light rubbing with a soft fingertip with Mineral Oil still on the coin, will remove any loose Verdigris, dirt and grime and will not harm the coin any further than it has already been harmed (damaged) unless rubbed too hard and roughly. Sure PCGS or NGC can conserve the coin and certify it genuine but the coin will still receive a detrimental notation and grade on the label no matter what. I usually recommend having coins conserved, certified and graded but ever so often, it is sometimes more beneficial to forgo these and sell a coin as is after arresting the Verdigris and stabilizing the metal of the coin from further harm.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NICE find.

What smokeythecat said.

OP
OP
D

dsmikle

Apr 7, 2018
Southwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea of what you could get for it. Most of the time if i have something like this mine worth next nothing.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
I agree with smokythecat and huntsman53 both. Either don't clean it, but if you do, do it in the careful manner that huntsman53 describes. That is what I have been trying to say in some of my previous posts.I don't believe it is the kind of improvement that will damage the coin or artifact, and in fact may improve the desirability. We don't want polished, scratched, altered coins for our collections, unless they were so far gone to begin with it doesn't make any difference anyway. Some of the old coin collector guides taught cleaning Lincoln pennies with a pencil eraser. Egads ! Never do that! Now we know about solvents and proper methods to use. Even Harlan Berk the famous ancient coin and artifact dealer in Chicago admitted to removing excess corrosion on rather expensive coins. Part of the grading process involves "eye appeal". A rare coin like this 1909-S VBD cent has good value the way it is, but with careful treatment, not saying there isn't a risk factor, the sale price can be increased by careful conservation. Professional cleaning by a third party grading service is always an option. I know the finder of this scarce coin will probably be the keeper. I know I would be.

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't clean it, coin tracker states at auction value may fetch 35$

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread