2000 South Carolina Quarter Dollar Dual clad missing error

Caleb12

Feb 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found the beauty in a change machine when I was getting quarters 20180410_200732.jpg 20180410_200745.jpg

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it may just be toned that color. What does it weigh? Should be very light if missing both outer clad layers.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
l.cutler is correct. Toning. The number and type of tones and colors a clad coin can take on due to environmental exposure are numerous. I have handles samples of cupronickel clad coins that have toned in various shades of red, brown, green, and even a few blues. While such toning is unusual, it is not considered an error due to it having been manufactured to established standards.

As unlikely as it may be, if this coin is .990 copper, it will wear far more quickly than another quarter made with a clad planchette. Also, it would be a bit light. I have not, and will not, do the arithmetic for you.

Time for more coffee.

Edit: There are a few more possibilities. Commercial plating. Ads for gold plated quarters were quite common 15-20 years ago. I have no memory in my stroke addled brain of ads for copper plated quarters, but they may be out there.

Grade school science project. Copper plating in the classroom is easy and demonstrates many chemical and metallurgical principles.

Both of the above are more likely than a solid copper planchette, but less likely than toning.

Finally! More coffee.

Last edited:

Indianlake

May 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins missing clad layers on both sides are extremely rare. I can see from the pictures that there is no weakness in the design elements, which would be very easy to see even if just one side is missing clad layer.

OP
OP
C

Caleb12

Feb 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very light. It weigh. 2.3 grams

OP
OP
C

Caleb12

Feb 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree. If it was toned it would be the normal weight which is 5.7 grams I believe. So why does it 2.3?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I disagree. If it was toned it would be the normal weight which is 5.7 grams I believe. So why does it 2.3?

If the coin truly weighs only 2.3 grams, then it was either struck on a split Planchet (i.e. separated half of a normal Planchet), Foreign Coin Planchet or Experimental Planchet.

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were missing the outer layers the details wouldn't be as sharp as they appear to be. Did you weigh another quarter to compare weights? Please take a pic of the edge of the coin.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your weight is accurate, I suspect the coin was made by shaving two coins and the halves glued together.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread