Guess the grade!

gusnuts

Mar 10, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO, PRO-POINTER AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently picked up this capped bust half. I personally love old silver coins with some contrast. What do you think it graded?

Obverse.jpg
Reverse.jpg

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VF30 Did you get it under $100

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
VF+ for sure, nice find. Love Type-Coins of pre civil war era. Is that a heavy wear mark on reverse above & left of Eagles beak? Full shoulder clasp, full LIBERTY on cap. Very very nice coin.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice coin. Unusual that it has that wear mark. I have an 1832 not quite as nice as yours that has wear in the same spot. Maybe a die problem? Gary

DSC08890.JPG

OP
OP
G

gusnuts

Mar 10, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO, PRO-POINTER AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin. Unusual that it has that wear mark. I have an 1832 not quite as nice as yours that has wear in the same spot. Maybe a die problem? Gary

View attachment 1579176

I have seen quite a few with wear there. I think it was a die problem but I’d be interested to hear some others chime in. Regardless i think it’s a beautiful coin. I’ll post the grade later today.

OP
OP
G

gusnuts

Mar 10, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO, PRO-POINTER AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the grade given by PCGS was EF40

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a beauty

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I was off by one grade but it's tough sometimes to grade with 100% accuracy just by pictures alone. Certainly an attractive coin.

I agree with you in that I also like coins that exhibit that contrast look, or what some of us sometimes refer to as a "circulated cameo" effect.

Did you pick this up at a show or at an LCS (local coin shop)? Was it already graded by pcgs or did you send it in yourself?

Here is one I picked up raw and had graded. You can't pick up on the full effect of the circ cam look by the pictures alone. It's more attractive in hand.

20180419_162607.jpg 20180419_162407.jpg

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Johnny: love the textured look of your 1853 coin. Sharpe details, what did it grade as EF+

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Dozer D

Yes, it graded EF45 at ANACS.
I bought it at a local coin shop that I infrequently visit.
I picked it up raw probably 5 years ago and then had it graded at ANACS only because a company rep. comes to the local coin shows, which just makes the process of submission really easy.
I'm confident it would grade at least EF40 at pcgs, if not even possibly cross at grade.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gusnuts

Mar 10, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO, PRO-POINTER AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I was off by one grade but it's tough sometimes to grade with 100% accuracy just by pictures alone. Certainly an attractive coin.

I agree with you in that I also like coins that exhibit that contrast look, or what some of us sometimes refer to as a "circulated cameo" effect.

Did you pick this up at a show or at an LCS (local coin shop)? Was it already graded by pcgs or did you send it in yourself?

Here is one I picked up raw and had graded. You can't pick up on the full effect of the circ cam look by the pictures alone. It's more attractive in hand.

View attachment 1580124 View attachment 1580125

That is a beautiful seated. I've always loved the "rays". I purchased mine from a dealer and it was already graded. I thought it was a gorgeous coin and a good deal at the price he was charging.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread