Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this 1921 d merc last year and I am wondering if anyone could give me a rough grade on it? I have no idea but if i had to guess i'de say fine?
20180419_141201_resized.jpg 20180419_141220_resized.jpg

Last edited:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion after collecting for 45 yrs, is vf25. Others may have their own opinion--:icon_thumleft:------- VF25   merc.jpg

Last edited:

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard to tell with photos but I think I see hairlines from cleaning so I'd say VF details cleaned

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion after collecting for 45 yrs, is vf25. Others may have their own opinion--:icon_thumleft:

Thank you very much, your opinion and experience is appreciated greatly. Guess I should send it in for grading at some point as I'm thinking it's worth a few hundred bucks.

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell with photos but I think I see hairlines from cleaning so I'd say VF details cleaned

Do most dig coins get a cleaned appraisal? I only rinsed with distilled water.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
When grading Mercs, you have to pay attention to the reverse and in particular the design elements of the fasces. G.A.P.metal provided a picture of the guidelines if you can make it out. But to achieve the grade of VF, the diagonal bands of the fasces must be completely visible - not just at the edges. As evident in your pictures, the diagonal bands are worn flat in the middle and visible at the edge. With a Fine grade, all sticks of the fasces needs to be defined. You piece would be a borderline Fine, but it is a solid VG. The top end of the fasces the stick-line definition is weak. Could just be the picture.

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When grading Mercs, you have to pay attention to the reverse and in particular the design elements of the fasces. G.A.P.metal provided a picture of the guidelines if you can make it out. But to achieve the grade of VF, the diagonal bands of the fasces must be completely visible - not just at the edges. As evident in your pictures, the diagonal bands are worn flat in the middle and visible at the edge. With a Fine grade, all sticks of the fasces needs to be defined. You piece would be a borderline Fine, but it is a solid VG. The top end of the fasces the stick-line definition is weak. Could just be the picture.

Thanks, I see what your saying.right near the top diagonal band, just above it, is a very very small area where 2 or maybe 3 of the verticle lines barely disappear. So I'll go with vg possible f.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I was saying, you will get varied opinions

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
No greater than a strong FINE. Nice find none the less.

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion after collecting for 45 yrs, is vf25. Others may have their own opinion--:icon_thumleft:------- View attachment 1580061

I know this is an old thread but, WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER! nice job on nailing it on internet photos!! My most valuable coin I've dug, not my favorite but I'll take it! 20180803_132910_resized.jpg

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice man, congrats!:icon_thumleft:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very nice coin.Congrats

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh Yea!
&
No 'distracting "details" typed on the label' ,

'Winner , winner =High end dinner. ' lol

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find! IMHO: a fair grade would be VF with possible cleaning issues causing a details grading.

OP
OP
Tpmetal

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! IMHO: a fair grade would be VF with possible cleaning issues causing a details grading.

I ended up being graded a vf 25. was never cleaned except with distilled water rinse(no rubbing). i added photo of the graded slab to this old post because digging440yrs nailed the grade from photos. which was impressive in my mind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread