Penny die error?

chefjuan

Sep 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all!
Whatcha think about this?

1967 “in god we trust is on top lip of coin. Looks like miss-strike but wondering if it’s worth saving or not?

Happy hunting y’all IMG_1094.JPG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just slightly off center, mildly off center coins don't command a premium.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
IMHO, the rim is too thin and it appears that the coin was struck on either a thinner than normal Planchet or with too little striking pressure which did not allow the metal to be forced far enough into the Collar to create the normal sized rims and thus the closeness of the lettering to the rim. Of course, I could be wrong but that is what I see. Get an accurate weight on the coin to see if the Planchet stock was thinner than normal and thus would have less weight.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank, remember, the master die was showing a great deal of wear during this time and most all of the dies had the elements leaking toward the rims. It's difficult to find coins from then that don't look like this one.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank, remember, the master die was showing a great deal of wear during this time and most all of the dies had the elements leaking toward the rims. It's difficult to find coins from then that don't look like this one.

Good point but this was also a time when the Philadelphia Mint was plagued by thinner or thicker than normal Planchet Stock. Seeing that the image, lettering and Date are well struck, I really don't think Die wear was a problem and it was likely a result of under tolerance Planchet Stock which required a closer adjustment on the Dies. I still could be wrong and hope to read more theories!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread