Is this worth sending off?

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't want to clog up today's finds with all my questions. Took this to a coin shop and the guy said it was worth about 15 dollars. He said it is very corroded and has great detail. I rinsed it with water....did not scrub it...then air dried. I'm just curious if I should send it to get cleaned...i might even if it's not worth it just because of the age.

Also, is it worth just doing it myself?

20180517_171109.jpg 20180517_171005.jpg

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worth 15 for him to buy it. end game on this to a collector is probably 20 -35 bucks if I had to guess. I would hold onto it and just appreciate it.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
worth what and to who.

Meaning, if you like it, and you are proud of it and sending it off if the first thing that comes to mind, then go for it.

OP
OP
Vhoov

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I was thinking about it regardless because it's basically my best/oldest find

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I was thinking about it regardless because it's basically my best/oldest find

Mate thats all that matters, this is how treasure room start. First it begins with a little drawer, maybe later a shoe box, then a display. Before you know it an entire room is dedicated to your finds.

Happy hunting.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a.jpg ---I think yours has the pointed "1", Imo more like $50-100----nice find

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great detail! Try this, it won't hurt it. Got from a post by buckleboy 12-6-2014. I did this with my Morgan, very happy with the results. Line a glass bowl with foil shiny side up. Put in a few tablespoons of baking soda. Place your coin on the soda, and pour a couple inches of BOILING water onto it. It will bubble quite a bit initially, so use a deep bowl. Let it sit for 5 or 6 minutes. When the coin stops fizzing, remove the coin with silicone tipped tongs, or something that won't scratch it. NOT your fingers...Ouch. Rinse and rub gently with fingers. Oh yeah, make sure the drain has a screen in it in case you drop it. Repeat as many times as needed. It required 6 cycles for me. The last couple rinses, I GENTLY used a microfiber cloth on some stubborn spots. Good luck. I think your coin will look almost uncirculated when done.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Short answer to your question, no. It is not worth sending out for authentication and grading. I certainly wouldn't try to clean it. Whatever value it has will be halved if you clean it. Unless you are convinced it is the rare variety that Diggin shows, I would just sit on it for now. Nice coin...

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dejapooh, if it's not worth sending out for grading, in your opinion, mine too, then he's not killing it by cleaning it, and it will look a heck of a lot prettier when done!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not clean it. I'd send it to PCGS who has a conservation service, but it will cost you.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I soak mine in a Rx bottle, few drops of DAWN liquid soap, hot tap water, shake well, let set for 2-3 days ( shaking every now & then when you get a chance), rinse with hot water, tap dry with soft cloth. Try it on some other dirty coin first.
Nice coin to find for your collection I hope, not your silver stack.

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like digger440years says,

1827 Capped Bust Dime (Pointed Top 1 in 10 C. Variety) is worth $50 in average condition , not worth having graded.

1827 Capped Bust Dime (Flat Top 1 in 10 C. Variety) is worth $385 in average condition, then yes it would be worth getting graded.

https://www.usacoinbook.com/coins/5696/dimes/capped-bust/1827-P/pointed-top-1-in-10-c/

Although, you get a better rate when you have multiple coins graded at the same time, so if you had like 100 coins to be graded it might be worth while to throw it in the mix.

Maybe...

Last edited:

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm...Well I'm not a professional coin grader or anything like that...but based on the PCGS Photograde app...I'm thinking the coin should rate at least VF35 or better...meaning it's probably worth at least $127.00 or better if cleaned up by PCGS. Tough call...

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
dejapooh, if it's not worth sending out for grading, in your opinion, mine too, then he's not killing it by cleaning it, and it will look a heck of a lot prettier when done!

I disagree. I think it is generally wrong to damage coins, regardless of their numismatic value. That piece has pretty nice surfaces, and making it "Nice and Shiney" would ruin that. It would also expose "Fresh Silver," or silver that has not been exposed to the elements. That silver will tone down, eventually, but fresh silver tends to tone black in collections. It will generally become an ugly duckling. Preserving it as it is will allow it to retain its beauty.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree. I think it is generally wrong to damage coins, regardless of their numismatic value. That piece has pretty nice surfaces, and making it "Nice and Shiney" would ruin that. It would also expose "Fresh Silver," or silver that has not been exposed to the elements. That silver will tone down, eventually, but fresh silver tends to tone black in collections. It will generally become an ugly duckling. Preserving it as it is will allow it to retain its beauty.
I agree 100%!

OP
OP
Vhoov

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, again totally impressed with this group and the support/feedback. I really wanted to shine it up a bit, but I'm just going to put it in a protector, maybe one day when I have more coins I will send them in so it is worth it. That's if I get anything that old ever again haha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread