EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All copper? or just on the edge? That would be something if it all copper. Cant see it but, maybe a pennie blank got mixed with the dime blanks in 2014, but then it would be a 97.5 percent zinc and 2.5 percent copper (copper-plated zinc) dime.

Still would be worth a good amount of money to certain collectors.

Oh and DONT clean it at all. If its truly a dime on pennie blank.

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
If, indeed, the coin has a copper appearance throughout, the most likely explanation is environmental exposure. There are many conditions that can cause the .750/.250 cupronickel cladding to take on a copper appearance.

If the planchette is solid copper, weighing it will not help significantly. With copper density at 8.94gm/cc and nickel at 8.908gm/cc, even a solid copper planchette would likely be within weight tolerance for a dime.

The likelihood of a dime sized copper plated zinc planchette showing up is so remote that the idea should be dismissed without consideration. If a cent planchette was struck with dime dies, the diameter would be cent size, not dime, and would have a near zero chance of occurance.

There are several sayings that sum up my opinion that the simplest explanation is nearly always correct.

Time for more coffee.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chances are it's either been in a tumbler with copper cents or it's been buried in the ground for awhile.

OP
OP
L

lmpuderer

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2018
Amite County, MS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's see if I can get the pictures on here this time. 2014 copper coin obverse.JPG 2014 copper coin reverse.JPG

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Environmental exposure. The off color dime is NOT the color of copper, if your images are accurate.

Time for more coffee.

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its could be Environmental exposure.

But it also could be something else.

How the Copper Dime Appeared

Dimes are made primarily of copper, and are coated with a mixture of copper and nickel to give the coin the appearance of a shiny silver surface. When the copper-nickel mixture wears off, the coin exposes its copper under layer, thus the brownish color of its surface.

This occurrence is considered an error, as the silver surface is not supposed to wear off. This error is called the clad coin. The non-adherence of the topmost layer of the copper dime is caused by gas and debris getting in between the layers, causing the topmost layer to separate during the lamination of the coin.

There have been instances when the topmost layer of nickel and copper mixture did not adhere on both sides of the dime, but it rarely happens. Usually only one of the sides, either the obverse or the reverse, fails to make the nickel layer adhere to the surface of the coin.

Before the dimes are distributed for circulation, they are examined if clad coins are included, and they are removed. So when a coin or two escapes from the watchful eyes of the people in the United States Mint and gets out into circulation, they are regarded rare and have higher values than what they are really worth, which is ten cents.

https://treasurepursuits.com/copper-dime/

Dont get too excited though, still only worth $5 or $6 bucks if indeed this is the case.

But i think i see some silver on that one so this may not be the case. :dontknow:

Last edited:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is definitely just toning. Coins can change all sorts of colors depending on what they are exposed to.

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometime before 1978 I found a clad dime in pocket change that WAS exposed copper, except for Rosie's head and the center of the reverse... those were both silver. NOT environmental damage or exposure. I did a 'horse trade' with a detector dealer with a bunch of coins I had accumulated during childhood for a Garrett BFO detector. I remember the dealer gave me $15 credit towards the detector for the dime. Wish I had kept it, but at the time I really wanted a metal detector and thought I was getting a deal.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, thanks. Wasn't anyone in my house.

The toning could have happened anytime and anywhere the coin has been since it left the Mint. There are a large array of environmental contaminants and other things that could have caused such toning. You would not believe the large variety of colors and conditions I have seen on coins in the 45+ plus years I have collecting, searching, researching, buying, selling and trading coins!

OP
OP
L

lmpuderer

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2018
Amite County, MS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can imagine. I've got a huge collection of coins but have never seen one like this. I've got several coins that I believe are true error coins and will post them whenever I get the chance to get pictures of them. Thanks for your help

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread