l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to remember, not all doubling is from a doubled die. There is also mechanical doubling, when the die shifts slightly during striking, and die deterioration doubling from worn out dies. Neither of those is collectable nor adds any premium.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sooo, what do we have here? I know 64 is a known double die collectible variety. Is this the one we should be looking for Or mechanical double die-d? I'd collect it anyway.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
The images provided are not of any doubled die variety I have seen for that year. I do see some minor evidence of mechanical doubling, which occurs when die or planchette shifts slightly during stamping. I also see a banged up, well circulated, Lincoln cent.

I suggest you obtain a few guidebooks on errors, and also learn everything you can concerning the manufacturing of coins. If you are serious about coins, these two pieces of advice are essential.

Time for more coffee.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a few good websites that can show you what you need to know. Sorry, but not a "doubled" die.

OP
OP
C

Caleb12

Feb 27, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The images provided are not of any doubled die variety I have seen for that year. I do see some minor evidence of mechanical doubling, which occurs when die or planchette shifts slightly during stamping. I also see a banged up, well circulated, Lincoln cent.

I suggest you obtain a few guidebooks on errors, and also learn everything you can concerning the manufacturing of coins. If you are serious about coins, these two pieces of advice are essential.

Time for more coffee.[/QUOTE

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1964 the REVERSE of the coin was best known for this effect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread