Oct 11, 2017
Montana, edge of nowhere
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
S20180616_0002.jpg S20180616_0013.jpg
S20180616_0014.jpg S20180616_0015.jpg

Got this recently.. generally looks pretty good. Being a sane individual, I immediately checked the weight. Seems to be silver, weight is 12.50 exactly. It sounds like silver, far as I can tell. There isn't any kind of seam around the edge that I noticed.

The one thing that is throwing me off; the mint mark. Isn't it supposed to be on the front? The date and mint mark look a little odd to me as well.. possibly modified from some other date/added mark?
Personally, I suspect it is fake; either a different S-mint date modified to be 1916, or a 1916 with the S added on. This being the first Walker I've seen first-hand though, I'd appreciate some more experienced opinions.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
at firt glance it made me think of the Zombie Apocolypes peace dollars they were minting awhile back

OP
OP
S

ShinyPackRat

Oct 11, 2017
Montana, edge of nowhere
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn. I was definitely afraid you were going to say that. Oh well, maybe the next one. Thanks guys :)

Happy Hunting,
~Shiny

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you didn't get burned too badly.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The mint mark on the 1916 is located under "IN GOD WE TRUST".

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

ShinyPackRat

Oct 11, 2017
Montana, edge of nowhere
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/#/Walker/Grades

Some of these have an S in that location, look at the grade VF30 one. But professor is right, the 1916 should be on the other side........

It also has a cast look to it

As I understand it, for 1916 and part of 1917 the mint mark was supposed to be on the obverse, they then moved it to the reverse for the remainder of the series.
I definitely agree about the cast look, something about the date (the 9 and 6) especially looks.. not quite right. But hey, at least it is still silver, at least as far as the weight claims

I hope you didn't get burned too badly.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Naw, just something I got as part of a larger sale of coins. Still quite pleased with the rest of the stuff I got; I wouldn't say I got burned at all. There just could have been a bigger party hehe

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
What a rotten thing that someone has done to a nice condition 1916 WL., to cut or grind it in half, then glue it to another Walking Liberty Half that has been destroyed in a similar fashion.

I found that the best way to tell if coins have been 'mated' in this way, it to drop it, edge first, on the kitchen table. If the sound that it makes is more of a 'thud' than a 'ring' (that a similar real coin would make), it has likely been tampered with and should be avoided.

Good Luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread