mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all...

I have a Canadian Penny in worn condition. The date is scrubbed off by contact with another coin I think. I'm pretty sure it's not worth anything more than a Penny and I'm not really looking for value. What I want is for someone to give me a good method to perhaps find out what the date is on the thing so I'll know. IMG_20180621_225419136.jpg Apologies for the picture quality but all I have for use is my cell phone and it's not really up to doing high def kinda shots.

Anyways... can anyone suggest how I might either enhance or recover the scrubbed area? I've read about inking it and trying to do a charcoal rub... I'm really not sure if either would work so I'll leave it up to those who know more than me.

thanks,
Mike

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It appears that the coin is 12 sided and if so, that places it anywhere from 1982 to 1996. It is possible that a weakened composition of Nic-A-Date might remove some the lesser compressed Fields metal from the coin to reveal the heavier compressed digits of the Date as is done with Buffalo Nickels. However, Nic-A-Date may act very fast on a Bronze coin compared to a primary Nickel composition coin, so be ready with water and Acetone to stop the chemical reaction before it does too much damage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread