Questions regarding identification of three coppers: Any help?

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These are NE U.S. farm field finds, and I'm having an issue or two in identifying them.

It's the diameter and weights that are confusing me.

Coin "A" weighs 7.8 grams and has a diameter range of 27.4-28.2 mm. The design, to me, comes back as a George II farthing or half penny. But these measurements do not match up to what I see on Coindatabase.com that they should be. I'm confused.
coina1.jpg coina2.jpg

Coin "B" I haven't cleaned other than water and peroxide, but I thought I could figure it out based on diameter and weight. Wrong...
It's thin, measuring 26.8 - 27mm with a weight of 5.5 grams. I see no shank mark ( button) and it is not domed. Heavier than button. but lighter than any copper coin I can find of that diameter.
Any thoughts?
coin b1.jpg coin b1.jpg

Coin "C" I also haven't attempted anything other than a thumb rub and peroxide yet.
These measurements match a British halfpenny (I think). diameter range 27.8-28mm, 9.3 grams.

Were British halfpennies, minted after 1820, used in the US as currency?
coinc1.jpg coinc2.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the old coppers! :icon_thumleft:

The farm fertilizer kills the old coppers, most of mine are recovered toasted! :BangHead:

OP
OP
ToastedWheatie

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The only logical conclusion I have is that the two unknowns are state coppers (Ct are not uncommon around here) and all three are counterfeit.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin A is a George II Halfpenny and dates 1729-1739.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
You are relying too much on weight/diameter for identification of old coppers . You know the first one is a KGII halfpenny, likely genuine (regal). The other 2 are most likely also KGII or KGIII halfpennies. Try highlighting with skin oils to see if any details pop in varying light conditions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions