1983 slanted d over d penny and 1992 d doubled die

Bedhead27

Jun 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone help me with any info on these 2 coins the 1983 d has a slanted d over d on it I'd like to know the value of it and also the 92 d penny is clearly doubled on both sides and also looks like a close am anyone with info on this would be greatly appreciated Picture_20185413015413.jpg Picture_20185413015413.jpg Picture_20185413015413.jpg Picture_20185413015413.jpg

Attachments

• 20180609_233940.jpg
    20180609_233940.jpg
    970.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 48821543_9ae3_Picture_20185013015019.jpg
    48821543_9ae3_Picture_20185013015019.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 133
Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
All I see on the 1992-D Lincoln Cent is Machine Doubling and some plating slippage. Also, IMHO, the "D" Mint Mark on the 1983 Lincoln Cent appears to have suffered several hits and is not a slanted "D" over a "D" Mint Mark. Sorry!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Based on the images provided, Huntsman53 is correct. Additionally, if you have more than a passing interest in coins, I would advise that you pick up a few guidebooks. Learning all you can about the manufacturing of coins would also be helpful. Knowing how coins are made helps greatly to identify errors.

Time for more coffee.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry we did not welcome you to the Treasure Net Forums! So Welcome!!! We sometimes get caught up in answering posts and totally forget to welcome newcomers. Hope you stay with us and share finds and stories with us!

OP
OP
B

Bedhead27

Jun 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are ya'll eyes messed up ?? U can clearly see the doubled on liberty and on the America on the reverse side look again its definitely not a machine doubled I don't think ya'll know what ya'll talking about a machine doubled looks like there's another date directly underneath with flare outside on all parts of the coin and u can clearly see on my coin the other letters of the words and the date clearly it looks like it's been smashed on top like some modeling clay look again b4 u quick to judge !!!!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Since there is some disagreement, I suggest you take your coins to a dealer, or other qualified professional, who has experience with errors, particularly doubled dies. Once you have their evaluation, please share that with us.

Time for more coffee.

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are ya'll eyes messed up ?? U can clearly see the doubled on liberty and on the America on the reverse side look again its definitely not a machine doubled I don't think ya'll know what ya'll talking about a machine doubled looks like there's another date directly underneath with flare outside on all parts of the coin and u can clearly see on my coin the other letters of the words and the date clearly it looks like it's been smashed on top like some modeling clay look again b4 u quick to judge !!!!

Can anyone help me with any info on these 2 coins
<<<

Did you post these to ask for help or tell us thats it "Double die"?

Its most likely Machine doubling.

Better pictures would help, like a Micro scope /photo setup.

Based on the photos it appears to be machine doubling, if you can get better close up pictures and prove that its not, then great.

Doubled Dies vs. Machine Doubling
Posted on 1/10/2017

The distinction between genuine die doubling and mechanical doubling can be subtle, but they can easily be differentiated with just a loupe and a bit of knowledge.

One of the more common questions that NGC Customer Service receives is regarding the difference between a doubled die and machine doubling. This distinction is very important, because a doubled die variety may be worth a large premium, while machine doubling is a mere novelty and does not usually add value.

A true doubled die is a variety in that it is created during the die making process. As a result, the doubling will appear on every coin struck from that die. In the past, doubled die errors were often much more dramatic due to the process in which dies were created. This method often required multiple impressions from a working hub to impart the detail into a die. If the hub or die shifted at all during this process, the finished die would feature two distinct impressions with separation between them. The design, letters and digits will be doubled.

Pictures and much more info at link:

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5688/Double-Dies-vs-Machine-Doubling/

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

I grant you that the doubling is quite significant on "LIBERTY" on the coin but still believe it to be Machine Doubling. Due to the significant wear and damage to the coin, it is nearly if not totally impossible to make a clear assessment of the doubling from the pics and the coin would need to be examined in hand using a Coin Microscope. So that you may better understand Machine Doubling and Doubled Die Doubling, I have included a couple of links below.

Machine Doubling

Wexler's Coins and Die Varieties

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread