Calling Counterfeit Copper Collectors! Machin Mills?

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This copper coin was dug from a farm field, and it appears to be a KGII halfpence/halfpenny. Diameter, at widest, is a hair over 28mm.
The problem is the weight.
It should weigh in at 9.4-10.4 grams, but weighs 7.8.

So I assume its counterfeit. Not uncommon.
But the only countefeit regal George II halfpenny that faces left that I can find is a Vlack 1-47A. Apparently the rest all face right.
The 1-47a would be Machin Mill's made in the 1780s and back dated to 1747.

I don't want to toss this in the drawer if it's a little special, as these seem to have some value.

Any thoughts? I've read through old posts, and I know there's some experts here!
Thanks!
DSCN8588.JPG DSCN8596.JPG DSCN8597.JPG DSCN8618.JPG DSCN8619.JPG DSCN8621.JPG rDSCN8600.JPG rDSCN8603.JPG rDSCN8606.JPG rDSCN8607.JPG rDSCN8608.JPG rDSCN8609.JPG rDSCN8614.JPG rDSCN8615.JPG rDSCN8616.JPG

Last edited:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely not a Machins Mills piece. It could be a genuine coin that lost some weight from corrosion.

OP
OP
ToastedWheatie

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks lcutler. I'm just surprised that it lost 20%. I have worse coppers that still weigh in at expected range.

(LOL. I should have known I didn't need to hedge my bets and seek advice elsewhere. This site has it all...lol)

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I answered you at that other place too! I am not a dedicated Machins collector but do have several.

OP
OP
ToastedWheatie

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks. The only left facing counterfeit George II halfpenny I could find was a Vlack 1-47A. Maybe someone knows more.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a British coin, Machin's Mills are American counterfeits. Some may look similar but are two very different things.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
What makes you think this is MM? It is not. I would say it is a genuine KGII halfpenny but hard to tell because of the severe corrosion. It could be a counterfeit of British origin, but unlikely based on the details I can make out.

OP
OP
ToastedWheatie

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What makes you think this is MM? It is not. I would say it is a genuine KGII halfpenny but hard to tell because of the severe corrosion. It could be a counterfeit of British origin, but unlikely based on the details I can make out.
I don't think its one or the other, just trying to find out.
The weight is 20% less than what it should be, so I'm thinking counterfeit. American or British.
But the only left facing counterfeit I can find was an MM.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think its one or the other, just trying to find out.
The weight is 20% less than what it should be, so I'm thinking counterfeit. American or British.
But the only left facing counterfeit I can find was an MM.

There was thousands upon thousands of British counterfeits produced during George II. Just have a look at a few and chances are one will be counterfeit.

OP
OP
ToastedWheatie

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There was thousands upon thousands of British counterfeits produced during George II. Just have a look at a few and chances are one will be counterfeit.

That's all I wanted to hear, so I can move along. I just didn't want to through this aside if it was a Vlack 1-47A

Wild Colonial Boy

Sep 7, 2013
the nearest ditch
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This area is so grey, I did a lot research after finding 3 counterfeits, I was hoping mine were US produced,but the information is just not out there at the moment
there were many counterfeiters in NY outside of Machins mills area but have not been classified as US produced as they have not been found in Archaeological context, The Term Machin Mills can unfortunately apply to all counterfeits found in US even if not produced by the Mill, I bought a few books, but the more cartoon like counterfeits are the area that collectors have focused on, there are many sand cast from original Regal issues from England and US, That size and weigh way under regal issues.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread