Is this a quarter struck on a copper penny planchet?

lucas1889

Jun 28, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Garett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1854.jpg IMG_1856.jpg IMG_1857.jpg IMG_1858.jpg IMG_1859.jpg IMG_1862.jpg

I went metal detecting at a sand/gravel beach last spring, and came back with tons of clad coins. When I got home and laid them all out, I noticed this one. It was too small in diameter and too thin to be a quarter, and yet too large to be anything else. My first thought was that it was a quarter that had been worn to oblivion, and corroded with a green patina. I noticed the 1976 bicentennial drummer boy, and George Washington.

Now, I don't know too much about coins because I am just starting my collection. But I think this is a "mule coin" (penny planchet struck in a quarter die). There is no sign of nickel plating whatsoever. The green patina is indicative of pure copper, and the edge is bare copper. It weighs exactly 3.1 grams. (the exact weight of a copper penny). The thickness is 1.09mm, while a quarter should be 1.75mm. If it is a quarter, and worn down that thin, I don't think I would be able to see the details. George is also a tad off-center.

I could not find much information online about "wrong-planchet" or "mule" errors online so I'd appreciate your thoughts!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found dimes that have been eaten down to trime size due to salt water corrosion. That's what I think you're running up against.

OP
OP
L

lucas1889

Jun 28, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Garett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
huh. I guess I was getting my hopes up to high. But still, what are the coincidences of it being the same weight as a penny?
Also does anyone know about the rarity of such "mule" errors?

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A mule would be a coin struck with non matching obverse and reverse dies, such as a quarter obverse and a Susan B. Anthony dollar reverse.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
huh. I guess I was getting my hopes up to high. But still, what are the coincidences of it being the same weight as a penny?
Also does anyone know about the rarity of such "mule" errors?

It's obviously had some environmental damage. The weight makes this potentially interesting but I doubt anyone with authority would ever come to a wrong planchet conclusion with the damage the coin has. Still, it's an interesting piece and I'd have to hold onto it if it were mine.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I have found many coins like that. Some in water and some not. You'd be doing well if you could get 25 cents for it.

OP
OP
L

lucas1889

Jun 28, 2018
California
Detector(s) used
Garett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I just never came across such a damaged coin. I guess after a few decades of being in the saltwater, thats what happens. Thanks for everyones input!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread