$250 1963 sealed nickel bag

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Hello all,

So I have an opportunity to purchase a $250 sealed (with lead at the neck of the bag) nickel bag. I have seen the pictures but won't see it in person for a couple more days.

I can't seem to find any references or pictures that the mint (Philly BTW) bagged up $250 quantities, just $200 quantities.

Any thoughts?

Greg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this supposed to be a "mint sealed" bag, or, sealed by somebody else? You're trying to get some high grade nickels that year? Not a rare year/mint, so, I hope they don't want too much for it.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't pay more than $260 for it. The nickels themselves have nothing more than face value. If you can certify that the bag is original from 1963, it is worth something as a unit... Maybe.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It is possible that it is a Bank Bag and not a U.S. Mint Bag that was loaded up and sealed in 1963. If so, it probably contains a mixture of Dates and Mint Marks and could contain some goodies (Error coins and Variety coins).

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
I don't know anybody who has paid big bucks for a late date Jefferson Nickel ( why? ), but check PCGS or any third party grading service for the highest grade prices. It's "Moon Money". The Jefferson nickels of that type were not often fully struck up of certain dates. It is important in grading of the full strike coins to note that Monticello has all the steps strongly visible. MS 67 + Full Strike something like $11,000.00 ! I can't see it, but it is a rich person's game.
Not to be too nosy, but you would have to give us an asking price to get a fair amount of yea's or nay's.
Good Luck & let us know if you brought 'em home. Be careful about fingerprinting MS coins too. It's easy to do in hot weather, and if you are in a hurry.
( and No, never heard of an actual $250.00 U.S. Mint sealed bag of nickels. )

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I don't know anybody who has paid big bucks for a late date Jefferson Nickel ( why? ), but check PCGS or any third party grading service for the highest grade prices. It's "Moon Money". The Jefferson nickels of that type were not often fully struck up of certain dates. It is important in grading of the full strike coins to note that Monticello has all the steps strongly visible. MS 67 + Full Strike something like $11,000.00 ! I can't see it, but it is a rich person's game.
Not to be too nosy, but you would have to give us an asking price to get a fair amount of yea's or nay's.
Good Luck & let us know if you brought 'em home. Be careful about fingerprinting MS coins too. It's easy to do in hot weather, and if you are in a hurry.
( and No, never heard of an actual $250.00 U.S. Mint sealed bag of nickels. )

I was going to mention the "condition rarity", but didn't want to get into a back and forth defending a position. With the hardness of the planchet, not being fully struck, and die deterioration, fully struck (6 steps) mint state specimens can command moon money. But it isn't just an all or nothing. Pulling a 3-5 step Jefferson can still be profitable. I sold a handful of 1960-P Jefferson nickels for $30/each that were going to be sent out to be graded. I wasn't going to commit to the grading fees only to be on the wrong side. The dealer assumed the risk and likely made some money. I was happy and so was he.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were a mint sealed bag, it would say "U. S. Mint", the mint it was from, and the year, printed on the bag. It would also be sewn shut, not closed with a lead seal. I was getting bags from the bank sealed that way until the late 1980's, when they switched to boxes. It is unlikely that it is a bag of just 1963 nickels, unless someone sorted them out on purpose. If it is a sealed bag of nickels from 1963, it would be a good one to get as it will contain Buffalo and war nickels, almost certainly. Personally, I wouldn't buy it for much more than face value without seeing some of what's inside it. It could be from as late as the 1980's.

Scott

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know anything about bank seals or postal seals or even navy seals but i do know this....i would not buy anything for more than face value without being certain its legit.

OP
OP
1235CE

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Thanks very much for all of the replies folks, I appreciate it.....So I was wrong.....it is a $200 mint sealed bag of 1963 Jefferson's and a 1962 sealed $50 bag of Memorials....$250 face value, hence the confusion.....I have inspected the bags and they are both truly sealed bags and they even have 2 different tags on them from 2 different coin shops, one tag dated 1970 and the other 1974 which is in line with the person telling me they have owned them since the mid 70's

That said, I offered him $280 for the nickel bag and $80 for the cent bag and, well, he seemed insulted......He quickly pointed out that there is an original bag of 1963-P nickels on ebay right now (and there is) and they are asking $1,999 for it and I told him that was wildly overpriced......I did raise my offer to 300 and 100 just to have 2 cool conversation pieces but no go...…..having 4000 nickels and 5000 cents in MS-63ish (is what I'm guessing based on these bags moving around over the years) is not what I'm looking for....Thanks everyone!

HH all!

Greg

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hope it works in your favor.

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I did this with pennies that were bagged from 1974. Still have not finished the 16,000 pennies I got. Lots of 70-74s but I have found a good 6k Wheaties from them so far.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions