Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that I did alright. It was off one of those online yard sale sites. I got 1964 P & D uncirculated mint sets, 2 1964 D quarters, 26 war nickels, 13 buffalo nickels (only 2 without dates), 2 Indian head cents (1890 and 1900), 69 wheat cents, 2 V nickels (1883 without "Cents" and 1912), and a 1976 Proof set. Below are a few pics. The total was $26. What are folks paying for war nickels these days?

IMG_0196.JPG
IMG_0199.JPG IMG_0200.JPG
IMG_0201.JPG

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

rcs

Mar 15, 2017
Western Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah i'd say you got a steal there! War nickels are close to a dollar each themselves.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, the Silver melt alone for all of the coins containing Silver is $44.98, so you did real well. The Silver melt value of the War Nickels is $0.83 each and around here, we get $1.00 to $1.50 each for them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Y’all. I’ve never sold any war nickels and figured that they’d be valued lower, due to the low silver content and difficulty of melting, compared to silver/copper alloys.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Y’all. I’ve never sold any war nickels and figured that they’d be valued lower, due to the low silver content and difficulty of melting, compared to silver/copper alloys.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Well actually the silver value only applies on worn nickels, seeing as it's illegal to melt them.

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I didn’t realize that it was illegal to melt them. If you can’t melt them, and they’re fairly worn (i.e. not in a grade that would make them collectible), then why are folks paying more than a nickel for them? Are they just speculating that there will come a time when melting is legal, like with pre-82 cents?

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly. The value of the coin is not the coin but in what the coin is made of. Just because you can’t melt it doesn’t mean that the value isn’t held in the silver still.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Exactly. The value of the coin is not the coin but in what the coin is made of. Just because you can’t melt it doesn’t mean that the value isn’t held in the silver still.

True, true but Silver War Nickels worn or not have not only Silver value but also have some intrinsic value and historical value not only because they were produced during WWII but also due to Silver being used because the other metals were needed for the War effort.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure you can melt any pre-64 coins.
That was a great deal for you!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting. I didn’t realize that it was illegal to melt them. If you can’t melt them, and they’re fairly worn (i.e. not in a grade that would make them collectible), then why are folks paying more than a nickel for them? Are they just speculating that there will come a time when melting is legal, like with pre-82 cents?

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

The thing is that Coins are perfect for the "END TIMES," if you believe that you need hard money on hand to make day to day purchases. You see, a 90% silver quarter is exactly 0.955 inches across, 0.069 inches thick, and weigh 6.25 grams. Wear can remove a BIT of that, but not much. It is exeedingly difficult to get a counterfeit EXACTLY the right size, and CLOSE to the right weight, when made from different metals. 90% silver will weigh 6.25, but a different metal will weigh something else. The only way to get the right weight, is to play with the size (make it a bit thicker or thinner depending on your metal composition). 99.99% silver rounds are all different sizes, so you would need to look at the weight, and the volume (the amount of water displaced, for example). That is a much trickier and less accurate measurement.

People who hoard silver and gold predicting the end of the economy LIKE silver coins for exactly that reason. They pay a small premium for exactly that reason, and they won't melt their coins for exactly that reason.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions