Double Stamped 1966 Lincoln Cent

WKD@BYS86

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2010
In 1966 I found this double stamped 1966 Lincoln cent. The stampings are outdented, so I don't think another kid made it in a garage.

I spent a few hours looking online and found nothing like it.

A few times I've taken it to coin dealers. Responses went from "it's not worth anything", to "I don't know."

front_1966_cent_double_stamp.jpg

back_1966_double_stamp_cent.jpg

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks to me like a legit error... rotated somehow during the minting process....
Wait till the rest of the guys chime in.... a few of them are well versed in error coins, and a few of them claim to be experts.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one similar once but it turned out to be a glue impression from two linncolns having been glued together and then seperated. Yours looks like a real error though.....and what a good date ...at least for me:thumbsup:

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like it was double struck. If the second set of dates are raised, as you suggest, I’d say that it didn’t get kicked out, but was rotated around 110 degrees and struck again. Cool find and thanks for sharing! Sorry that I can’t help with valuation.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you are looking for value you need to check the sold listings on ebay.

For sure. It’s only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I was just showing that there are others out there, and I agree with dejapooh. If I owned it, I’d get it slabbed.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I would worry about the possibility of the coin having been cleaned if sending it in for certification, grading and Error Attribution! I say this because if the coin has been cleaned and it kind of appears to have been, then the Third Party Grading Service will not only note the Error on the label as well as Genuine but also note that the coin has been cleaned and only give a Details Grade. The latter two will adversely effect the price that the coin fetches but most collectors would not purchase the coin without certification. It's a case of your danged if you do and danged if you don't!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I would worry about the possibility of the coin having been cleaned if sending it in for certification, grading and Error Attribution! I say this because if the coin has been cleaned and it kind of appears to have been, then the Third Party Grading Service will not only note the Error on the label as well as Genuine but also note that the coin has been cleaned and only give a Details Grade. The latter two will adversely effect the price that the coin fetches but most collectors would not purchase the coin without certification. It's a case of your danged if you do and danged if you don't!

And still, most experienced collectors will KNOW it's been cleaned. I say you still get it accredited. If you are in the Los Angeles area, PGN usually has a table and will give you a spitball guess as to what it will come back as, and if they think it is likely to be authentic.

OP
OP
W

WKD@BYS86

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2010
I've had it since 1966 and did not clean the coin. In fact, to this day I avoid cleaning thigs.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I've had it since 1966 and did not clean the coin. In fact, to this day I avoid cleaning thigs.

With the fact that it was minted in 1966 and discovered in 1966, people are expecting a coin's surfaces to not be so dull with so much crud lodged in the coin's devices. When I look at the circles of the 9 and 6, there is crud. When I look between the columns of the Lincoln Memorial, there is crud. That crud accumulation is expected when a coin is handled in circulation. A coin that is discovered the same year it was minted, I wouldn't expect to see so much crud. Enough with the crud. There is a curious lack of mint luster with overall dull surfaces. A coin discovered the same year it was minted, should exhibit mint luster especially in the coin devices where the crud is instead. The only possible reason for the dull surface with crud is if it was handled extensively in that year. Perhaps filthy grandma mitts were feeding it into a penny slot?

Regardless of the coin surfaces, I'm in agreement that it is a legitimate error. It needs to be properly attributed to realize it's true value on the secondary market.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like an error coin too me!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread