Coin grading

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Most coins pulled from circulation are not worth the price of grading. When I search coins, I principally pull errors. Perhaps 1 in 100,000 of those is worth the price. Even most modern uncirculated coins are valued less than grading cost.

If you believe yours are the exception, and you both desire to have them graded and are prepared to pay costs, then by all means, do so.

Time for more coffee.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your thought should be this. Is the coin I have valued at a higher value than the cost of grading? If you don't have a Redbook I suggest you get one. For example, a 1994D in MS-65 grade is only valued at $10 retail. Coins in higher grades are probably only to be found in mint sets.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to send in a lot of coins. My rule was to only send it in if it’d increase the value vs raw by more than the grading fee. Ex: 32d quarter raw au might sell for $150 & certified for $225. Probably worth it if I have big order to send in & I’m pretty confident it’ll make the grade. It also makes your coins more liquid when it comes time to sell. You need to have a pretty good eye or you’ll lose $ pretty quick.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Suggest as said, get a current edit of the RED BOOK 2019, and be able to grade your coins before even thinking on sending them in for certified grade.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve found this very helpful. Thank you to the OP and to everyone who responded.

I have recently acquired some coins that I believe need to be graded and encapsulated, but I’ve never shipped any off to be graded because most of my collection is average stuff that I picked up CRHing. More to come later when I can start a new thread and post some photos.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What’s the best way to learn how to grade coins.

Look at bunches of coins , book's , online , years of experience. & Still in the end it's 1 or a few peoples opinion.
GL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread