Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Y'all,

My father passed away last year and he was a bit of a coin collector. I inherited my appreciation of American coinage (and a lot of other things from him). Anyway, he quit collecting in the early '80s and moved on to other activities. I've been going through some of his things that my mother either wouldn't know what to do with, or perhaps it would just make her sad. Either way, getting his things in order has been my task, and will continue to be, for some time.

I've taken some photos of some of his coins and I would like some advice. If these were your coins, would you send them off to be graded and encapsulated? If the consensus is yes, I'll likely need some further advice on sending them off, as I've never sent a coin to be graded. All my stuff is pretty beat up from CRHing. These are the best photos that I'll be able to take for a while. The coins are back at the bank.

Thanks in advance for the advice. Here's the 1829 Half Dime:

IMG_0260.JPG
IMG_0261.JPG
IMG_0303.JPG
IMG_0305.JPG

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Kantuck, looking through the posts, it seems that the coins were a part of a type set. Typically, a type set collector will target the highest grade coin for each type. Often, the example is not the rarest date/mint example. You have some beautiful coins. They all should be sent off to a TPG. If you have to sell them, then you will get fair market value. I would recommend that you look into attending a large coin show where you will be able to deliver the coins in person and take advantage of a show discount. All the large shows will have representatives from PCGS, NGC, etc. You will have the reassurance of handing the transaction face to face while also saving on the fees.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Kantuck, looking through the posts, it seems that the coins were a part of a type set. Typically, a type set collector will target the highest grade coin for each type. Often, the example is not the rarest date/mint example. You have some beautiful coins. They all should be sent off to a TPG. If you have to sell them, then you will get fair market value. I would recommend that you look into attending a large coin show where you will be able to deliver the coins in person and take advantage of a show discount. All the large shows will have representatives from PCGS, NGC, etc. You will have the reassurance of handing the transaction face to face while also saving on the fees.

I agree and at a Coin Show, the TPG Representatives can advise which coins will get actual grades and the ones that will get Details grades due to damage or other problems. With that being said, I believe that the 1829 Capped Bust Half Dime should grade at EF-45. If those are not light scratches on the Obverse mainly in front of Miss Liberty's bust, then it might go AU-50. Either grade would be worth the cost of the submission.

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you for the advice about a coin show and thanks for the link in the other post about PCGS photograde. It’s fun to look at, but hasn’t helped me much. I am certain that I’d be the worst grader on earth if I worked for a TPG (What does “TPG” stand for by the way? T***** Professional Graders I’m guessing.). I’ve never bought collectible coins, as I don’t know enough about them and would likely overpay on stuff. I’m not going to send all of them off, but I may send a couple and hold some, or maybe all them for a coin show. I’ll post some more once I get a chance to take some more pictures. The type set is complete, but the quality of the coins is kind of all over the place. He collected before the Internet was around and when he was collecting, he had to order at least some through the mail. When looking at a folder with some papers related to coins, I saw where he’d returned one or more as the condition wasn’t as advertised.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree and at a Coin Show, the TPG Representatives can advise which coins will get actual grades and the ones that will get Details grades due to damage or other problems. With that being said, I believe that the 1829 Capped Bust Half Dime should grade at EF-45. If those are not light scratches on the Obverse mainly in front of Miss Liberty's bust, then it might go AU-50. Either grade would be worth the cost of the submission.

Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of being able to not have certain ones graded and encapsulated if they’re of lower quality or have damage or problems that I’m not seeing.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Like Diver Down, I still feel that a Coin Show where PCGS and NGC Representatives are there is the best option as they offer "At Show" submission discounts and they can advise of problem coins and save you money. The problem is whether there is going to be any of the large Coin Shows near you since TPGs typically do not send Reps to smaller shows. Check the link below for Dates and locations of Coin Shows in Indiana but the largest will be in Indianapolis on December 13th and 15th. However, you can check other States nearby that may have large Coin Shows that will be sooner and/or closer to your location. If you call PCGS and/or NGC, they might advise which Coin Shows that their Representatives will attend.

Indiana coin shows 2018, 2019 - IN coin shows

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Diver Down, I still feel that a Coin Show where PCGS and NGC Representatives are there is the best option as they offer "At Show" submission discounts and they can advise of problem coins and save you money. The problem is whether there is going to be any of the large Coin Shows near you since TPGs typically do not send Reps to smaller shows. Check the link below for Dates and locations of Coin Shows in Indiana but the largest will be in Indianapolis on December 13th and 15th. However, you can check other States nearby that may have large Coin Shows that will be sooner and/or closer to your location. If you call PCGS and/or NGC, they might advise which Coin Shows that their Representatives will attend.

Indiana coin shows 2018, 2019 - IN coin shows

I’m thinking that you’re right. Coin show is the way to go. After you all suggested it, I looked at ones on the PCGS site and they were in CA and Vegas. Thank you for the link. I’ll look into Louisville and Chicago as well.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful coin! :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting