Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same deal as the 1829 Half Dime. Here's an 1861 silver 3 cent. Again, apologies for the poor quality photos.

IMG_0297.JPG
IMG_0299.JPG
IMG_0247.JPG

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea, those are high quality coins... I’d get them slabbed
Most guys get all roped in to paying full price to get coins professionally graded...
Get involved with your local coin club, they may have a contact with a reputable grading company, that will take multiple coins at a discounted price.
Or, a big coin show close to you should have a representative from any of the grading companies.

Your Dad had some nice coins

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, those are high quality coins... I’d get them slabbed
Most guys get all roped in to paying full price to get coins professionally graded...
Get involved with your local coin club, they may have a contact with a reputable grading company, that will take multiple coins at a discounted price.
Or, a big coin show close to you should have a representative from any of the grading companies.

Your Dad had some nice coins

Thanks. He had an eye for coins and I'm sure that he underpaid on about all of them.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Again, it is hard to tell much about this coin due to being behind plastic in an album but it appears to have some damage on the Obverse and Reverse and especially so, on both rims. If that is the case, it would likely get a Details Grade but I think it would get a Details grade of EF-45.

I am sorry that I may seem harsh on the coins you have! However, I think it is always best to be honest and give the best assessment that you can with the best interest in mind for the owner of the coin! If I am wrong in my assessments, I apologize now and hope for the best outcome!

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks huntsman. No need to apologize. I’m posting some of the questionable coins because I really don’t know what to look for when sending coins to be graded. I definitely don’t want to get my hopes up and have them returned with the dreaded “Cleaned” or damaged labels. Furthermore, I suck at grading. On a good day, I might be able to tell an “About Good” from an “About Uncirculated”!!

What are your thoughts on the 1829 half dime and flying eagle?

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, it is hard to tell much about this coin due to being behind plastic in an album but it appears to have some damage on the Obverse and Reverse and especially so, on both rims. If that is the case, it would likely get a Details Grade but I think it would get a Details grade of EF-45.

I am sorry that I may seem harsh on the coins you have! However, I think it is always best to be honest and give the best assessment that you can with the best interest in mind for the owner of the coin! If I am wrong in my assessments, I apologize now and hope for the best outcome!

Agreed, this is a bit hard to grade under the plastic. As an XF coin, it doesn't have enough value, IMO, to justify getting it slabbed unless you're trying to sell it online. Even then, there might not be enough difference between raw and slabbed price. It's not a rare date.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have enjoying seeing your Dad's coin collection, some lovely pieces! :icon_thumleft:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you minting these from your home?! haha...really thou, Beautiful coins. These deserved to be slabbed and displayed.

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you minting these from your home?! haha...really thou, Beautiful coins. These deserved to be slabbed and displayed.

Not minting them. I’d be printing if I was counterfeiting!!!

Thank you though. I think they’re pretty too, although I’m biased.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing them with us Im still drooling