Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an 1858 Flying Eagle Cent. I think that I'll probably get some of these graded, basically for my peace of mind that they'll be properly stored and so that they'll be easier to value and more liquid if my mother ever decides to sell them. I'd still like to know what you all think though.

IMG_0239.JPG
IMG_0240.JPG
IMG_0296.JPG
IMG_0300.JPG

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
IMHO, the 1858 Flying Eagle Cent should grade around VF-30 to possibly VF-35 but would possibly grade EF-40 if it were not for the slight impact or compression damage on the Eagle's breast and neck and the wear on the wing tips. What appears to be wear on some of the letters in "ONE CENT", is more than likely due to a weak strike. What I am concerned with is what appears to be cracking on the Reverse rim. Is it due to lamination cracking or damage, that is the question as I cannot tell from the pics. If lamination cracking, then there will be no problem getting it graded but since the coin is not extremely valuable, would you want to pay to have it graded. However, if you go to a Coin Show and get a "At Show" discount as Diver Down recommended and the TPG Reps opinion, then it might be worth it.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice coins, did you dig them?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it would probably grade XF40 Large Letter variety. As such, I don't think it has enough value to warrant getting it slabbed unless you plan on selling it online. Your LCS would probably give your raw coin close to the same value as a slabbed one in that grade.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, no need to pay money to have it graded. Put it in an airtite and leave it at that.

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I thought it might be XF with a weak strike on the reverse. Didn’t make a note of a lamination error on this one although I didn’t really look closely at the rim although I see that now that you pointed it out. I zoomed in on the photo on my laptop but can’t tell. The reverse rim does look ready to peel off. I’m glad that I posted these!! Thanks again!

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I would not leave it in the book. The sliding in and out of the plastic sheet used to hold the coin in place can cause scratches to the coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread