Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one would be a gamble to get slabbed, I think. I may need to have PCGS or NGC have it restored or whatever they call it first and then have it graded, but I'm seriously considering it.

There are no flaws that I can see on the reverse. The lines and marks that you see in the photos are reflections of the plastic, dust, or general schmag from my phone, the jeweler's loop, or the plastic covering the coins, but there's nothing on the coin itself. The reverse seems perfect. On the obverse, there seem to be no scratches, dings, or flaws of any kind. However there is a smudge to the right, and to a lesser extent, to the left of Lincoln's bust on the fields. I'm awful at grading, but one of these sold for $5,700 as PCGS MS67. In all honesty, these are in a type set from 1800-1978 (most recent date in the set) and I was afraid to take them out, since I didn't have a decent work area when I was examining them.

IMG_0306.JPG
IMG_0307.JPG

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Before having it graded and slabbed by the pros, take it to your LCS and ask them to take a look. You might save yourself a little money.

Past time for more coffee.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't be sure based on the pics with the coin behind plastic and in the album but the coin appears to be a Proof and not a Business Strike. If that is the case, then it would have to grade as a PR-69 to be worth slabbing. If Lincoln's Bust and other devices have a Matte Cameo appearance on Mirrored or somewhat Mirrored fields like they appear to be, then it is likely a Proof Coin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice galenrog. I had thought about going to the LCS for questionable ones before sending anything off.

Thanks huntsman. That makes sense about the cent being a proof coin.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It looks like a proof. In the early 60's, it would be rare for the coin's devices to have the cameo effect. It would still have to grade PF-69 to be worth it and even then still not likely. If you are able to take advantage of a show discount as I described in your half dime post, then you might justify the expense. If it isn't a proof, then by all means it needs to be graded.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a proof. If so, it would not be a candidate for slabbing. Any kind of blotch or flaw of any type would downgrade the coin. Nice even toning would be fine, but, otherwise the price drops on impaired proofs.

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Y’all. I bet you’re right and that it is a proof. Looking over my notes, I had a ‘61 Roosevelt dime and ‘61 Washington quarter labeled as Pf and a ‘61 Franklin half labeled as MS??. I guess he cracked a ‘61 proof set to fill some holes. I’m not used to looking at older proofs and am used to seeing the more modern ones that I found CRHing, with frostier features. I just bought my first proof set a couple of weeks ago.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread