1885-CC GSA Morgan

gwakeley

Apr 4, 2011
I have the chance to buy this off a acquaintance of my sister. Just want to make sure before I buy it it’s the real deal. Any opinions?

IMG_1348.JPG

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell by the pic if it's real or not. The only thing that I can say, is that these holders are fairly common. If I just had to take a guess on holder? I would guess that it's good. From what I can see in the pic of the coin it looks good too, and has good luster(?), Frost(?) with a couple bag marks,details, which makes me think it's real, or at least a real dollar, there is no pic of the back. I would take that chance based on pic alone. I wouldn't be afraid of it. :occasion14:

Maybe this will help..
https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/3526/counterfeit-morgan-dollar-fake/

Hopefully, Huntsman or someone that knows more than I do will be by to help you.... These guys know more about the fakes and what to look for.

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Want to tell us what the price is? Or asking price. Good luck.

OP
OP
G

gwakeley

Apr 4, 2011
Thanks for the replies! She is asking 300$ which is about half of what it’s worth from what I can tell.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been away from it for a long time and I'm out of touch with prices....But $300, doesn't sound like an amazing deal to me. I may be completely wrong and hopefully someone with a lot of current knowledge in these will chime in. :dontknow:

Added.....I just looked online, never mind my nonsense......I'm out of touch with pricing...:laughing7: The $175 to $225 days are gone I guess....:laughing7:

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea from what I’ve gathered it’s about 50% of value

What really stinks to think about? I had all but one. in GSA(CC's), I've had all of them at one time or another or multiples, loose, and not graded or in a holder(CC's....But the rarest one,(morgan) which is some kind of proof or maybe it was an S, I can't remember..All I know is there is one morgan I never owned. ... I owned the 93's(?) but it was barely a coin! slick!:laughing7:

Wish I had them now!!!!!!!:BangHead: And to think back of the ones I remember selling...I had no idea what I was doing and sold some good stuff cheap!!

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The coin has great details, all devices appear to abruptly terminate into the fields as they should (i.e. not roll into the fields) and the inner points on each of the Stars appear to point directly towards the center of the coin as they should (the Chinese and some other Counterfeiters sometimes can't get them to point directly at the center). However, check the coin with a magnet and I am somewhat concerned that the whole Obverse looks frosted. However, the frost appearance in the fields could be just hazing and there may be mirror or mirror-like details to the fields that are just hazed over. If everything checks out, I believe it is a good deal at the $300 price even with the rub on Miss Liberty and in front of her' face in the fields.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
What really stinks to think about? I had all but one. in GSA(CC's), I've had all of them at one time or another or multiples, loose, and not graded or in a holder(CC's....But the rarest one,(morgan) which is some kind of proof or maybe it was an S, I can't remember..All I know is there is one morgan I never owned. ... I owned the 93's(?) but it was barely a coin! slick!:laughing7:

Wish I had them now!!!!!!!:BangHead: And to think back of the ones I remember selling...I had no idea what I was doing and sold some good stuff cheap!!

Nitric... To have owned every Morgan Silver Dollar in the Series at one time or another minus the 1895 Proof Morgan, is a feat to be proud of and one I bet you wish you could repeat.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin has great details, all devices appear to abruptly terminate into the fields as they should (i.e. not roll into the fields) and the inner points on each of the Stars appear to point directly towards the center of the coin as they should (the Chinese and some other Counterfeiters sometimes can't get them to point directly at the center). However, check the coin with a magnet and I am somewhat concerned that the whole Obverse looks frosted. However, the frost appearance in the fields could be just hazing and there may be mirror or mirror-like details to the fields that are just hazed over. If everything checks out, I believe it is a good deal at the $300 price even with the rub on Miss Liberty and in front of her' face in the fields.

I can't remember crap.....But I thought I there wsa something to the frost....were these dipped or something before put into holders? My brain is cooked but I thought I heard or read something about that years back.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't remember crap.....But I thought I there wsa something to the frost....were these dipped or something before put into holders? My brain is cooked but I thought I heard or read something about that years back.

I believe some were treated with some type of chemical but most were not.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nitric... To have owned every Morgan Silver Dollar in the Series at one time or another minus the 1895 Proof Morgan, is a feat to be proud of and one I bet you wish you could repeat.

It makes me sick to think of what I had and sold......we were told we would never have kids...So, we lived it up not worrying about a thing and had a lot of fun....Now, that I have a Son? Most everything is gone...If you only knew the future!!! I've had every Indian,Merc,Buff,lincoln,washington,peace,morgan,etc....I've had almost every type US Gold, even the 3 and 4 dollar......Uggghhhh To think of what is gone!:BangHead: Turns my stomach!:laughing7: Hopefully one day I can build it back for my Son but....I highly doubt it. Ohhhh...And we won't even talk about pocket watches! I'll never repeat that collection again...Never!

Sorry for the sidetrack! I'm having a little piitty party for myself!:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: I might need a tissue and a manpon.

Last edited:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
The GSA Dollars are GENERALLY good, but there have been fakes made and distributed in Fake holders. The real ones are all Mint State (somewhere between 60 and 70, which means they can have pretty open values). The key in buying coins is getting the grade you are paying for. Assuming the coin is real, you can safely assume the coin is at least MS 60 (though likely a higher grade). The price for a 1885 CC in ANY mint state is about $550 plus. Assuming shes had it for 8 years or more (when the first counterfeits hit the market), it is a great buy.

OP
OP
G

gwakeley

Apr 4, 2011
Okay so now I have the 1885-CC in my possession. Looks great to me! Can anyone give me an approximate grade, is it worth sending in? Judging by some I’ve seen on eBay graded this seems to be like ms63-64 but I could be way offf

IMG_1398.JPG IMG_1399.JPG

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morgans are beautiful coins but not liked too much by people of the time period to use as currency....nicknamed the buzzard coin. I own several MS-66+ Morgans but I'm not a grader. I would say 62-64 as an estimate. NGC has a restoration service along with grading.....PCGS may be harder to send in for grading unless you know a dealer.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Question for Qwakeley - Did it come with the original box and paperwork? If so, then I would consider having it graded in it's government holder. If all you have is the holder, then I would have it graded in the TPG's holder. I would peg it to be a ms63. For my taste, there is too much rubbing on the cheek and the field near her forehead. The reverse looks problem free.

OP
OP
G

gwakeley

Apr 4, 2011
Question for Qwakeley - Did it come with the original box and paperwork? If so, then I would consider having it graded in it's government holder. If all you have is the holder, then I would have it graded in the TPG's holder. I would peg it to be a ms63. For my taste, there is too much rubbing on the cheek and the field near her forehead. The reverse looks problem free.

Unfortunately It didn’t come with the box and coa. I’m still debating wether I want to send it in or not. Doesn’t seem like there’s too much of a difference between price on a non graded one in GSA holder and ms63-64 graded. May not be worth sending it off.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It makes me sick to think of what I had and sold......we were told we would never have kids...So, we lived it up not worrying about a thing and had a lot of fun....Now, that I have a Son? Most everything is gone...If you only knew the future!!! I've had every Indian,Merc,Buff,lincoln,washington,peace,morgan,etc....I've had almost every type US Gold, even the 3 and 4 dollar......Uggghhhh To think of what is gone!:BangHead: Turns my stomach!:laughing7: Hopefully one day I can build it back for my Son but....I highly doubt it. Ohhhh...And we won't even talk about pocket watches! I'll never repeat that collection again...Never!

Sorry for the sidetrack! I'm having a little piitty party for myself!:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: I might need a tissue and a manpon.

At least you can say you HAVE owned them.. HELLUVA feat!!!!!!!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Unfortunately It didn’t come with the box and coa. I’m still debating wether I want to send it in or not. Doesn’t seem like there’s too much of a difference between price on a non graded one in GSA holder and ms63-64 graded. May not be worth sending it off.

The only benefit is that you have a definitive grade for future sale. Bring it ungraded into a shop and you'll be offered 60-62 prices. Sell it privately, and then you have someone knocking every perceived irregularity. When you get into the large value coins, I feel it is always beneficial to have them graded. Without the box - matching serial no., I don't see any benefit in keeping it in the GSA holder.

Whatever you decide, nice coin. Hold on to it and in 10 years, you will see an increase in market valuation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread