Netherlands/Dutch Duit in Colonial Circulation- who has found one?

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found my oldest coin to date and began to research it. (Non-dug photo attached) While not as often recovered as State Coins, KG IIs and IIIs, it seems as though the variants of Netherlands/Dutch copper Duits were quite popular in the North East right up to the Rev War. A few hours search turns up quite a few here on tnet over the years.
Anyone found one or have any speculation? 49A4AA2D-6BBD-42EC-95D9-A177BDDFBDD2.png 49A4AA2D-6BBD-42EC-95D9-A177BDDFBDD2.png

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Here's mine. Pretty badly worn and environmentally damaged. Mine's the 1702-1713 version. Took me forever to figure out where it was from.

Attachments

• 100_1748.jpg
    100_1748.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found what I think is a 1 or 1/2 duit from 1802 or something, ill have to get a photo.

OP
OP
EdHartzel

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cudamark- was that a West Coast Find?! You’d be the first person I’ve heard of outside of NY/PA/NJ/DE/MD to dig one!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I found it in a farmer's field east of Colchester England.

PaddyB

Jul 18, 2016
Devon, England
Primary Interest:
Other
Coincidentally I recently picked up a whole collection of Netherlands and Netherlands East Indies coins at auction - over 100 of them in all. I found the most interesting are the rectangular "Bonks" which were cut from copper bars and crudely stamped with date and cipher on each side. Some of them here: Bonks 2-1.jpg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy mole that's a museum piece Well done

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i would be sort of wary of Dutch coins dated well into the 1700's....

OP
OP
EdHartzel

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting- unclemac, what is there to be wary of?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting- unclemac, what is there to be wary of?

I think he means that the Dutch left before the 1700s, so a 1700s Dutch coin may be a more recent drop than an actual circulating colonial coin. But maybe they circulated later, like 8 reales did after the US got independence.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
these are the ones to really avoid.

s-l500.jpg

OP
OP
EdHartzel

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sayiggarius98- thats what I’m pondering. The coin I dug has quite fine details (despite the natural corrosion) unlike one that spent a lot of time in circulation. Pennsylvania is known for the “Pennsylvania Dutch” but Their origins are much earlier. I’d like to think that the Dutch that settled here maintained relations of trade and comerce with their homeland for several generations. This coin was dug on what was old farm field near a well just a couple hundred yards from the banks of the Delaware River so maybe therein lies a connection. I’m trying to read up on the VOC “new york penny” topic that quite a few people are speculative about.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sayiggarius98- thats what I’m pondering. The coin I dug has quite fine details (despite the natural corrosion) unlike one that spent a lot of time in circulation. Pennsylvania is known for the “Pennsylvania Dutch” but Their origins are much earlier. I’d like to think that the Dutch that settled here maintained relations of trade and comerce with their homeland for several generations. This coin was dug on what was old farm field near a well just a couple hundred yards from the banks of the Delaware River so maybe therein lies a connection. I’m trying to read up on the VOC “new york penny” topic that quite a few people are speculative about.

Pennsylvania Dutch are NOT Dutch at all, they are German. The "Dutch" comes from an improper pronouncing of the word "Deutch" which is German for German. The Dutch settled the Hudson Valley region of NY state in the 1600s as well as the first NY city settlement which was called New Amsterdam and changed to New York after the British beat the Dutch in a war and took over their north American claims. I have found a Duit in the Hudson Valley near a known Dutch colonial house and farm, I think I posted it a couple of years ago. The VOC Duits were never meant for use in the American or western hemisphere Dutch settlements, they were meant for use in the far east. Some for sure found their way to the American colonies, but they were not circulated here by the Dutch as they were in their colonies in the far east (Asia).

Last edited:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Dutch Republic duits did circulate in New Amsterdam to some degree, but the VOC duits which many call "New York Pennies" never circulated here as they were for the Dutch East India Company to circulate in the Indonesia area.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what he said just pretend I said it amazing looking coin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread