Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: QUESTION FOR COIN COLLECTORS

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    2579 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.

QUESTION FOR COIN COLLECTORS

I was wondering if I should remove the toning/tarnishing on the Pop Out Coin I found?

One of the coin sites wants the story and photos according to my coin and jewelry shop...I want to display it. I've got a lot of pictures of the way it was when I found it...I only have blown the dirt/debris off to post the photos here.

I don't think it's monetarily valuable, just the history and rarity is what makes it special.

Should I leave it as found or have it cleaned?

Your Opinions and Experienced Advice Are Very Much Appreciated!

Thank You!

Kace
    Last edited by Kace; Oct 10, 2018 at 07:58 PM.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Just dig it

Jan 2018
    California
    Garrett Ace 350, Harbor Frieght
    475 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    It's all up to you as far as what you want to see. Maybe do the baking soil foil trick to take off the tarnish. I personally like to keep the old look of items I dig and just clean enough to read and try to keep patina etc.
    Kace and A2coins like this.

us
    Apr 2017
    Bay Area, CA
    Tesoro Cibola, XP Deus w/ HF coils, & 11" LF. Land and Sea pinpointer
    714 times
    yeah man. That coin is beautiful as it is. Id leave it.

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    2579 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    Thank You Nick...I always leave coins as found except to blow off the dirt and debris too. I like the patina and age showing on old coins...I'm not an experienced collector of odd coins though, lol!

This one is just different from anything I've ever found and although the detail on it is easily seen as is, there have been Barber Repousse coins and dies found from that period and a few were halves, but they are different from each other...some have blemishes or something on or in the dies that transferred to her face and some have only one eye open etc. I guess it depended on the skill of the finisher.

The one I found isn't showing any blemishes caused by the die or finish work, which is why that shop contacted some coin site/organization. I didn't know that til today. I'm hesitant to have anything done to it, but I thought maybe that's just me and you guys would know much more than I do about the pros and cons of cleaning it to show the before and after.

Thanks Again Nick

Kace
    A2coins and Nick79 like this.

us
    Sep 2015
    Montana
    142 times
    Whatís the coin. Can I see a picture.

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    2579 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Holt0222 View Post
    What’s the coin. Can I see a picture.
    This is it Holt

Kace

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2927.PNG 
Views:	48 
Size:	4.39 MB 
ID:	1641150

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2926.PNG 
Views:	45 
Size:	4.05 MB 
ID:	1641151
    Dozer D, Plumbata, A2coins and 1 others like this.

us
    Martiobarbuli

May 2012
    Wyoming
    White's
    1193 times
    Yep I'd leave it alone, or at most use a soft cloth to gently buff the high points to create more contrast between the darker patina in the fields and design elements.
    A2coins and Kace like this.

Aug 2017
    SW MO
    Garrett AT PRO
    468 times
    Metal Detecting
    Leave it as is, it's a beauty. Collectors love toning

us
    Sep 2015
    Montana
    142 times
    Complete beauty

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    5462 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    It's probably just me, but, I don't see it as a coin anymore. To me, it's now jewelry or a token of some sort. If I owned it, I'd dip it to remove the tarnish.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Feb 2012
    1585 times
    Coin roll hunting
    Nice artistic looking coin, never saw it before.
    Kace likes this.

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    2579 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumbata View Post
    Yep I'd leave it alone, or at most use a soft cloth to gently buff the high points to create more contrast between the darker patina in the fields and design elements.
    That's a great idea Plumb!

I think I've decided that the memory of the thrill of finding it just like this is worth more to me than changing anything at all about it.

I'd never wear it as jewelry so I believe I'll just make it the center piece in a display case of Barbers.

I know it'll Never happen, but IF by chance I did find another one, I do like your idea of highlighting.

Thanks!

Kace
    Plumbata likes this.

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    2579 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    It's probably just me, but, I don't see it as a coin anymore. To me, it's now jewelry or a token of some sort. If I owned it, I'd dip it to remove the tarnish.
    Nope, it's not just you Cuda...it's not currency anymore. The Repousse done on coins are typically valued by Numismatists
    (I've learned those two words and the meanings since finding this..lol)

The value of them is determined purely by what someone who collects things like this wants to pay. Some are rare and are worth more based on the denomination of the coin used. Those are valued higher in that world depending on the quality of the finished piece.

The value to me is the thrill of finding it how and where I did. I think I'll leave it just as it is.

Thanks Cuda!

Kace

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT MAX
    10349 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    leave it be and dont set it frer
    Kace likes this.
    This is an addiction!!! There is no cure!!! And it only gets worse!!!!! KEEP PLUGGIN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    2579 times
    Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    leave it be and dont set it frer
    I'm sorry A2...I got the 'leave it like it is' part you said...but I don't know what you mean after 'don't set it'

Thanks,
    Kace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links