Altered Indian Head Cent Any Value? Common?

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I recently found an altered 1893 Indian Head Cent. It looks like a die was used to punch a 3-D Indian Maiden head into the coin, then a back post, with what I believe is a pin back, was added. Possibly was then gilded. The pin back/bar is bent and there's loss of gilding. Is this a common piece? I imagine someone making a die to punch these coins would have made many of them.

I don't expect it would have much value although it is a handsome little face. I was just more curious about the piece and hoped someone could give me more information.

Thanks!

IMG_3104.jpg IMG_3096.jpg IMG_3108.jpg IMG_3111.jpg

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
that is called a pop out coin a big trend in the 1900's

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, I recently found an altered 1893 Indian Head Cent. It looks like a die was used to punch a 3-D Indian Maiden head into the coin, then a back post, with what I believe is a pin back, was added. Possibly was then gilded. The pin back/bar is bent and there's loss of gilding. Is this a common piece? I imagine someone making a die to punch these coins would have made many of them.

I don't expect it would have much value although it is a handsome little face. I was just more curious about the piece and hoped someone could give me more information.

Thanks!

View attachment 1642945 View attachment 1642946 View attachment 1642947 View attachment 1642948

Nice Find! Check out my thread 'She Was Eyeballing Me'. I recently found a Repousse aka Pop Out, Push Out 1912 Barber Half.

There's little info on them but I did find a few things and posted on that thread that might help you with questions. I haven't posted it yet, but I did find the 1893-1894 patents for these and who applied.

Very Nice! Some are not so great.

Kace

PS..Where did you find it?

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion Has always been Cool Look but it Destroyed the coin,
Because Coin collectors will No longer consider it a coin.
Me Either.

But I have recently Learned there is a collector Base who is willing to pay
Outrageous Prices For them

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe this one was used as a button sweet!

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
My opinion Has always been Cool Look but it Destroyed the coin,
Because Coin collectors will No longer consider it a coin.
Me Either.

But I have recently Learned there is a collector Base who is willing to pay
Outrageous Prices For them

You are correct! I was offered $450 for mine recently. There is definitely a specialty market for them...Not for the coin purist crowd.

Kace

OP
OP
WoodnHead

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Find! Check out my thread 'She Was Eyeballing Me'. I recently found a Repousse aka Pop Out, Push Out 1912 Barber Half.

There's little info on them but I did find a few things and posted on that thread that might help you with questions. I haven't posted it yet, but I did find the 1893-1894 patents for these and who applied.

Very Nice! Some are not so great.

Kace

PS..Where did you find it?

Thanks Kace! I will check out your thread. I found it in a large lot of button tins I bought at a yard sale... Found it buried in piles of buttons, along with several religious medals, a front tooth from a denture, an unfired bullet, and lots of little fraternal type pins.

OP
OP
WoodnHead

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct! I was offered $450 for mine recently. There is definitely a specialty market for them...Not for the coin purist crowd.

Kace
Now that's a collector crowd I can appreciate.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Check those frat. type pins. Some can be 10k gold. Also yrs. of service pins from different co.'s. Nice find. I'd never seen one until few wks. ago when Kace found her's. Very cool. Good luck.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Thanks Kace! I will check out your thread. I found it in a large lot of button tins I bought at a yard sale... Found it buried in piles of buttons, along with several religious medals, a front tooth from a denture, an unfired bullet, and lots of little fraternal type pins.

You did good. Smart buy of the buttons. They are often stashed in jars/tins and from earlier generations, they never threw something out that would serve a purpose in the future. Of course, there comes a point that no family spanning multiple generations can ever use jars and jars of buttons, but it doesn't stop them from adding to the stash. Depending on the geography and history of the area, button hoards can yield some tremendous finds. About a decade ago, I purchased mason jars of buttons from an estate that was in a known confederate stronghold. Knowing the differing types of mason jars and the age of them, I didn't hesitate to buy them up. Buried at the bottom of the one jar was confederate buttons with the gilding still on them as if they were cut off the uniform the day after the soldier returned home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread