Silver pricing

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Short answer: No

Long answer: Each dealer has their own criteria for both buying and selling.

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP
H

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if I am going to be buying silver which should I use. Should I go the cheapest one or is there a more standard one.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The spot price is what major buyers/sellers use and a lot of sites have the live spot price. Spot price fluctuates throughout the day. Dealers usually sell based on spot plus a premium (e.g. 10 oz. bars as low as $0.69/oz. over spot). Usually, the more you buy, the lower the premium, although sometimes any quantity will have the same premium. So for the above example, if spot is $14.25, you’d pay ($14.25 + $0.69)*10 = $149.40 for each 10 oz. bar.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
H

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand that, but when I look at the major sellers they all have different spot prices. It usually is within a $.20 range but still.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand that, but when I look at the major sellers they all have different spot prices. It usually is within a $.20 range but still.

Some of their sites must be slow to update.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

jailbirdjackson

May 5, 2016
Chicago, IL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also there's a 'bid' price and an 'ask' price. Seems that maybe there is a big spread between bid and ask. Anyway, I think price is somewhere between the bid and ask.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bid is theoretically what the dealer will pay. The ask is theoretically what the dealer sells at.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy the 1 oz silver bars by a well know maker that's all I can afford but have many from years of doing this. I hope silver goes up by the time my Kids are older!!!!!!!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My 'old school' LCD uses a chalk board to post various buy/sell silver prices during the day; a few cents either way doesn't seem to phase him--and that's why I've stayed with him for a dozen years.
Don.....

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
You have to ask yourself.What difference 20 cents makes.Not a hell of a lot.What can you buy with 20 cents nowadays,not a Damn thing .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread