I have decided to sell some of my coin collection.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• coin sets.jpg
    coin sets.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 194

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I'd try to sell them as sets. In those fancy holders.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will get more for the set..... by far.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with leaving the sets intact.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would leave them in the set. And don't do what I do when I sell something...lose my you-know-what.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'll go against the grain...... Without knowing the grade of (for example. both the quarter and the 50 cent piece), you could be 'losing' a hundred dollars on each of these coins if they are graded MS-65 and you sell them based on a grade of MS-60. If I were a buyer, I'd want to know the grade of each coin before I made an offer. Without a grade, neither party knows the value of what he is selling/buying.
Don.......

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would leave them in the set. And don't do what I do when I sell something...lose my you-know-what.
well that 4 votes don't break apart. So I will try as a set. I looked up the sell on individual coins and like that now to track down matches on feeBay.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll go against the grain...... Without knowing the grade of (for example. both the quarter and the 50 cent piece), you could be 'losing' a hundred dollars on each of these coins if they are graded MS-65 and you sell them based on a grade of MS-60. If I were a buyer, I'd want to know the grade of each coin before I made an offer. Without a grade, neither party knows the value of what he is selling/buying.
Don.......

I don't know if i can afford to send each one in for grading especially those prima donnas at PCGS.

I once interviewed there and was offered the job. I went around and met several of the staff and turned down the job (print buyer and building supervisor)

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 1940 set is worth a grand as it is.
KEEP THEM TOGETHER !!!!!!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Your Walking Liberty set was cobbled together (not necessarily by you). The holder that it is in is the US Special Mint Set holders that were issued in '65, '66, and '67. Someone just put coins in that holder. If you are adamant in selling it as a set, then get a Capital holder (Wizard Coin Supply or some other supply shop will have them).

Your '56 Proof set again is in a third party holder. But it is an old set as the plastic screws have yellowed. Do yourself a favor and take the holder apart and arrange the coins so they are haphazardly arranged.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree that unless that the Quarters and Half Dollars grade at MS-65 or better, you would be better off not breaking them out for grading. By selling them as sets, you will at the least need to know the approximate grades of each coin in the set and with the 1956 Proof Franklin, you need to know whether it is a Type 1 or Type 2 Variety (see the link below). The Type 1 with 4 Feathers left of the Perch on the Eagle on the Reverse is the valuable Variety of the two Varieties. Also, was every coin in the 1940 set minted at Philadelphia or are there some Denver and/or San Francisco minted coins in the set as this has relevance on the Set's value. Now, we could give possible grades on the coins with better close-up pics of each coin. However, trying to grade coins from pics and those pics of coins as seen through plastic would be a task to say the least and you would likely get a variety of answers (grades) from dozens of members. If you know someone locally and trust them, try to get them to give you grades on the coins.

1956 50C Type 1 (Proof) - PCGS CoinFacts

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, it will depend on the individual grades of each coin, the mint marks (in any), and varieties (where applicable). If they're common, MS63 or less, keep them as sets. Otherwise, they MIGHT be worth more individually.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, we could give possible grades on the coins with better close-up pics of each coin. However, trying to grade coins from pics and those pics of coins as seen through plastic would be a task to say the least and you would likely get a variety of answers (grades) from dozens of members. If you know someone locally and trust them, try to get them to give you grades on the coins. u

OK, good idea but they are all locked up now. I will pull them out of the vault after Christmas. I think I will list these first. But I will try and get an expert to look at them first. Up until six months ago we had a coin shop in town, but he died and the wife closed shop.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be selling in the set like most of you suggested. I broke everything out and shot photos of each (white glove of course) It is so hard to get great shots because of the lighting and reflections. I even have a small light box made just for shooting small items. These shots are are from my cell which is real good for close-ups, but do you think these add or take away from the quality? I will also shoot them when they are back in their holders.

Any tricks to getting more accurate photos. I do not want extreme close-ups because it will pick up every microscopic blemish and make the coin look worse. Or do many buyers look at every imperfection no matter how tiny.

Attachments

• 1956 PROOF SET-01.jpg
    1956 PROOF SET-01.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 1956 PROOF SET-02.jpg
    1956 PROOF SET-02.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 1940 PROOF SET-01.jpg
    1940 PROOF SET-01.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 1940 PROOF SET-02.jpg
    1940 PROOF SET-02.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 1956 PROOF SET-04.jpg
    1956 PROOF SET-04.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 1956 PROOF SET-03.jpg
    1956 PROOF SET-03.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 1940 PROOF SET-04.jpg
    1940 PROOF SET-04.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 1940 PROOF SET-03.jpg
    1940 PROOF SET-03.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 61

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking coins and images.
Your images are better than 2/3 out there. As long as people can enlarge them to see for themselves, you should do well.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been doing some experimenting. I tried using my scanner and told it to scam a "photo" I like the results compared to my cell photos. The black border is cell phone (on tripod with mini-studio lighting) the yellow border is canon scanner. So is the 1968 mint shot.

If you look at the beginning of this post you will see a Franklin proof photo. The holder is so thick the scanner can not focus.

Attachments

• 1940 MINT SET-13.jpg
    1940 MINT SET-13.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 1940 MINT SET-11.jpg
    1940 MINT SET-11.jpg
    555.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 1968 DENVER MINT SET  FRONT.jpg
    1968 DENVER MINT SET FRONT.jpg
    808.1 KB · Views: 91

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice sets.
When searching on Ebay I like to enlarge the images to look for strong strikes, dings, etc and I've been told the scanned images cannot be enlarged. I don't know if this is true. I haven't been able to figure out why some images on Ebay can be enlarged and others can't.

In this forum at least, the scanned mint set enlarges very nicely but the one with the yellow background not so much.

Isn't there a section here for selling that would save you fees?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions