Extremely worn coin, but will be my first!!!!!!!!!

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I am a manager at one of our local grocery stores and I have the honors of closing down at night and counting down the tills of the day. I bring my magnifer to work with me, as these ol' eyes ain't what they use to be ;)...

Well, last night, one of the assist bookkeepers was doing her weekly chores and showed me a bag of all the foreign coins they had...OMG...some really nice ones! I have a better collection of foreign coins than I do US ones...but I'm getting there.

I told her I want to buy some of these, but I have to wait for the head bookkeeper to come in...which I have to wait till tomorrow (Sunday)...so k...not a problem.

Well, going through them....many are from Canada (not to many old ones, more recent), Bahamas, Panama, Cuba (one from 1960, I want that one, it's a pretty one LOL), but as I was going through them...something caught my eye...

At first I thought it was a token or play money of sort....but I saw an Indian on one side and on the back...all you can see is ONE CENT...then on the front I was looking to see if I could find a date...1888...I was like OMG...my FIRST INDIAN CENT!!!

I am going to buy this one, and I don't care how badly worn it is...it will go with my badly worn Barber Quarter (dated unknown)....I'm so excited!!! That had to come from someone's collection...OMG...but like I said...badly worn, but you can still read the date and see the Indian.

I hope to have it in my hands tomorrow (Sunday) and I will take pics of it..in the mean time...here's a link to the coin I found (only this one is in much better shape!)

http://www.coinfacts.com/small_cents/indian_head_cents/1888_indian_head_cents.htm

Tonight I will go through these coins more (as I wasn't able to complete my search) and see what other goodies I can find...also, looking through BRINKS PLASTIC ROLLED Dimes the other night, I found another 1964 Dime....they missed this one when rolling!!

Couldn't wait to tell ya'll...as I am so excited and can't wait to post the pic of this badly worn (BUT MY) coin :):)

Until tomorrow....
Annmarie

bobr

May 17, 2006
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I know how you feel. My first Indian was found counting change at church. No date and it rough shape, but it was an Indian head!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
My first indian was found in the keys of an old piano back in the early 60's. It was very worn.

Now I dig them often but never get tired of them.

Nice find.

Badger

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Well, I have it and many more foreign coins than I thought. I will put the pics of them up on my webshots tonight or tomorrow.

Best part though of the whole deal........I asked my manager if I could buy the bag of coins....she said for me to ask the Bookkeeper, then said to ask our Store Director, since she was there...so I go to her and tell her I want to buy that bag and she say, "You can have them" and told my manager to give them to me!!!!!!!!!!

WHOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!!

And then last night, apparently someone brought in 10 dollars worth of half dollars...so I give a looksy through them and came home with a 1964 Kennedy Half....

Been a lucky week for me so far :)....I love counting down the tills! LOL

I wish my Indian Cent was in better condition, but what's more important is, I have my very first one...already in a coin holder so no one else can mess it up!!

Happy Hunting All,
Annmarie

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
This must be the week of silver for me...with working and the boys school work and scouting...detecting hasn't been much of an option lately...

But this past week at work...since finding my 1964 Kennedy half...I have, including last night....found "3" 1964 dimes and a 1928 wheatie....been a lucky week for me!!! Whoo Hoo! :)

Now....I'll have to remember to go through those rolls of halves in the safe....I just might get lucky again LOL

Hope everyone is having a marvelous week!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Ron and Ann said:
This must be the week of silver for me...with working and the boys school work and scouting...detecting hasn't been much of an option lately...

But this past week at work...since finding my 1964 Kennedy half...I have, including last night....found "3" 1964 dimes and a 1928 wheatie....been a lucky week for me!!! Whoo Hoo! :)

Now....I'll have to remember to go through those rolls of halves in the safe....I just might get lucky again LOL

Hope everyone is having a marvelous week!

Good deal! I like your post too because it supports something I've been saying all along. That is, that wheat cents are still found in circulation. I find several each year in my pocket change. Now and then even an indian shows up!

One thing many detectorists don't realize is that those old obsolete coin types were in circulation a lot longer than most people think today. I've read things on here about indian cents being gone by the 30's which isn't true. My folks owned a sports store in the 50's and they got them in change. By the 60's they were mostly gone.

Back in the 60's I did lawn work and often received standing liberty quarters in pay. But by then almost all had the dates worn off.

Back in 1983 I purchased 200 large cents from a dealer who was thrilled to dump them. They were either holed or dug and cost $1 each. Prior to that date (40's and 50's) these were considered play things by many people and kids would use them for toys in the back yard (the same was true of old tokens).

Many times today these old large cents and indian cents are found by trees because that's where kids played mostly prior to the 60's.

Sorry for rambling on but your post brought these things back to me.

Badger

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks Badger....the coins are out there...you just have to look for them.

Last night was a fairly good night for me...no silver though....OHHHHH...speaking of silver.

One of my cashier's showed me a 1935 Merc her mother gave her that she received in change. I brought a coin holder into work so she could put it in the holder for safe keeping. I even wanted to buy it...was going to give her a dollar for it...but she would not sell....

Well, I brought in the coin holder and she informs me SHE LOST IT!!!!!!!! (SLAP SLAP SMACK)....She said she thinks she spent it...so if anyone finds a 1935 Merc in their change, please let me know LMAO ;)

Well, last night was the "Night of the Wheaties"....I never found this many in one night. I usually have anywhere from 10-13 tills to count down, but I always go through all 13 of them, because I don't close every night and I might miss something good :)..if it hasn't already been given out in change :(.

I kept 2 bi-cent quarters (I like collecting them) and another quarter that looks like maybe someone was messing with the front side of it...like melting it or something. Or was it an error in printing? Hmmmm...more like someone was defacing it  >:(

I also found 3 nickels: 1941, 1946D, 1956

The Wheaties are as follows: 1934, 1941, 1942, 1944, 1945, 1957, 1958D

Go to my WEBSITE (link under my profile pic) and look at folder: COINS FROM FF218 - 11 Oct 2007. Hope no one gets offended by the mag as a background ;)

I also took pics of my other nights finds:

Wheaties: 1928, 1945, 1958
Nickels: 1948
Dimes: 1964

Also went through the two rolls of half dollars...nothing before 1971 in there :(. They have 4 One Dollar Coins (Bi-Cent)....not silver, but I was thinking of buying them anyways...

They have alot of the new dollar coins (Adams, Washington, Jefferson)...they don't interest me...but are they worth something to save?

Also, they had about 4 rolls of Susan B.'s....1979 and a few 1980's (I'm gonna get some of those 1980's..as I have one of each mint for 1979 for each of my kids and only one 1980S...and work has some from each mint for 1980. They had another roll with Susan B.' in the 1990's....might go through them and try to get a mint of each year that I can find.

But no silver that I could see in the safe...but that does not mean they don't lie in the plastic rolls still in there...which I can't go through, but try to look through the plastic and see if I can find anything (Dimes and Quarters)...that is how I found two 1964 dimes :):):)

Thanks for looking....off today..so I will have to wait till tomorrow to get another fix!!! Hope they get lots of good change today for me to find tomorrow!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions