How my neighbor collected wheats, indians and silver coins - FYI

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My neighbor who started collecting pennies when he was 12 had over 250,000 pennies. No kidding. He was a very good friend of mine before he passed 2 years ago. We used to sit in his garage at night while he graded more incoming pennies and talk. He had boxes and boxes of tubed pennies by date and mint. One day his wooden shelves broke. Luck was that all tubes were marked and boxes were the sturdy boxes so really no coin spill but one heck of a noise. He later got steel shelving.

His current method for getting coins since I have known him was that he had a network of local convenience store owners, waitresses and bar tenders (probably 15 to 20) who watched out for him and save silver coins and indians and wheats. He paid them a little above blue book value. He would get in 50+ coins every week.

I believe that method would still work for anyone in their area if they are a friendly type of person and likes to go to bars and make friends.

After he passed his wife sold the collection. Not sure what she got for it. RIP my good friend Bill W.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Pull tab: how long ago was this collection of 250K in pennies. Love the story, too bad his wife didn't contact you after his passing. Similar to my bank teller contacts who are saving me anything ODD, besides silver. It's almost like NETWORKING your resume when looking for a job, the more exposure the better, but with coins it has to be taken in moderation, you don't want EVERYBODY to know about your coin collection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions