MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
And if I had a penny like this I would be thinking a lot of thoughts:

Rare Penny Found in Boy’s Lunch Money Could Fetch Up to $1.7 Million in Auction

A 1943 copper Lincoln cent. It is believed only 20 of them were struck, and the government denied they even existed--until this kid found one in his lunch money change in 1947. He hung on to it until he died last year. Now it's going on the auction block, where one previously sold for the $1.7 million used to value this coin. The article states that it is believed only 20 of them were struck. But how many are actually known to exist? And if the owner of the one that was sold several years ago buys this one, wouldn't the value go up a lot for both of them?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess it's time to go thru my wheats, again, and again, and again. I'm sure I had one !!!
Yeah, right on. Don't I wish.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just a thought---

what would it cost to make 10 of them that would pass authentication tests :dontknow:???8-):laughing9:

even if the value got cut by 50%..... ya still got a lotta cash .....or money.... whichever you prefer:laughing9:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
PEA: what 'Big House' would you want us to send mail to you? I don't think you can get away with it.

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
just a thought---

what would it cost to make 10 of them that would pass authentication tests

When artwork is authenticated, one of the tests performed is testing the paint for radioactivity. After the first atom bomb was exploded, and all the nuclear explosions since then, paint will reflect trace amounts of radiation if it was manufactured after 1945. I don't know if the same is true for coins, but if it is there is little chance you would be able to forge a passable copy. I think you would also have to "age" it in such a way that it looks credible, and there may also be a test for trace material in the patina that could date it. On the other hand, if someone who worked at the mint saved some old dies and copper blanks it's a whole new ballgame.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the link.
Didn't really think it would go for as much as the estimates as Philly has +-20 specimens whereas Denver only has 1.
PCGS 1943D Bronze cent LINK .

Heritage and FUN only provided a "little" hype to try get interest in the auction and it did work to boost interest in coins!
When a story came on the news about the 1943P copper my wife perked up, looked my way and gave me a lusty look :whip2: until
I shook my head no, none in my hoard! :crybaby2: :laughing7:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just a thought---

what would it cost to make 10 of them that would pass authentication tests :dontknow:???8-):laughing9:

even if the value got cut by 50%..... ya still got a lotta cash .....or money.... whichever you prefer:laughing9:

:icon_scratch: Sounds like you might live in China?

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Thanks for the link.
Didn't really think it would go for as much as the estimates as Philly has +-20 specimens whereas Denver only has 1.
PCGS 1943D Bronze cent LINK .

From the article: "The 1943-D bronze cent is the most valuable cent in the world, and it took four years of aggressive negotiations with the coin's owner until he agreed to sell it."

Good grief! Did the guy wake up with a horse's head in his bed???

...my wife perked up, looked my way and gave me a lusty look :whip2: until

Lusty looks from the wife can never be overvalued...

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my wife perked up, looked my way and gave me a lusty look :whip2: until
I thought you were talking about something else.

The first thing to get would be blank brass planchets pre 1943. I am sure there are a few out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread