Has anybody found any penny errors in coin rollng or change?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If they only have design on one side they aren't true mint errors. First thing to do is weigh them. After that please post pictures!

It is possible that unclemac had or has some late stage Brockages. If any of the coins have evidence of an image and other details such as the Date, Mintmark and/or lettering, then they could be mid to late stage Brockages that show a progression.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is possible that unclemac had or has some late stage Brockages. If any of the coins have evidence of an image and other details such as the Date, Mintmark and/or lettering, then they could be mid to late stage Brockages that show a progression.

Brockage is what came to my mind also.

This type of error still warps my mind a little with all the different parts coming together to create them.
And then you throw in the mint switching which is the hammer die to confuse it even more.

For those not familiar, one side can have normal details while the other side can look like all details are missing, just blurry or almost "melted".
As I understand it, brockage coins will have one side (the anvil die) with normal details while the other side (hammer die) will look almost blank when struck by an early die cap.
(the "die cap" is a struck coin that sticks to the hammer die for one reason or another.)

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Brockage is what came to my mind also.

This type of error still warps my mind a little with all the different parts coming together to create them.
And then you throw in the mint switching which is the hammer die to confuse it even more.

For those not familiar, one side can have normal details while the other side can look like all details are missing, just blurry or almost "melted".
As I understand it, brockage coins will have one side (the anvil die) with normal details while the other side (hammer die) will look almost blank when struck by an early die cap.
(the "die cap" is a struck coin that sticks to the hammer die for one reason or another.)

Somewhat more confusing is when does the offending coin which has sat on the anvil Die for many multiple strikes become a Capped Die or Die Cap or Bottle Cap (as some folks call them). Since we very seldom see these coins until well into the process with many Brockage Error Coins created and there is finally Mint employee intervention by removing the offending coin (of which is never supposed to make it out of the Mint), I would still imagine that the offending coin generally starts taking the form of a Bottle Cap after the first or second strike.:icon_scratch::dontknow:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
here you go, 1975 D still with some mint luster on both sides...i took 2 of these from a roll of '75D's back in the day.

Attachments

• 20190212_090455.jpg
    20190212_090455.jpg
    861.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 20190212_090511.jpg
    20190212_090511.jpg
    896.1 KB · Views: 69

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for finding and posting the image.
Odd because it has no rim on the reverse.

What is the weight?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here you go, 1975 D still with some mint luster on both sides...i took 2 of these from a roll of '75D's back in the day.

That coin has been sanded down. There's no mint luster on it. Please weigh it, you'll positively find it underweight. Frank, no brockage here!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS. Proof of the sanding is the fact there's no rim on the reverse.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
sorry you can't see the luster, it is plain as day in your hand...and like i said, from a roll of the same.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
PS. Proof of the sanding is the fact there's no rim on the reverse.

That definitely appears to be the case since this coin would have been struck above the collar, thus there would likely be a mushy edge on the Obverse and Reverse where the rims are supposed to be but being struck outside of the collar, there should be no actual rim on the Obverse. I think I am right in what I wrote and theorized but if I am wrong, someone please correct me.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Error-ref LINK for die caps.
The examples shown for die caps all have some detail and rims on both sides of the coin.

UncleMac remembers pulling them from an OBW roll but maybe the roll wasn't from the mint. Just rerolled after being in circulation. When I saw the smooth reverse with no rims, it reminded me of love tokens where one side is removed to add a design or engravings.

I can't see any way this could have come from the mint after looking at the images.
This is what is confusing and why I was hoping UncleMac could tell us the weight and also the diameter to clarify things.

Last edited:

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is in interesting thread for a newbie just getting into the game BUT what does WAM, DDR, rotated reverse, etc.... and other terms mean?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are numismatic sites on the web that list all of the abbreviations.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a Google search as Enamel said for "Coin Glossary" and something should come up.
There are just too many abbreviations to list them all here.
( Here is one LINK )

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Good answer" as they say on Family Feud when Dawson isn't kissing a woman. He was a good host, but Steve Harvey cracks me up when I happen to catch his show.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread