Getting closer.. 1994-D Cent DDO/R?

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I really appreciate everything that everyone on here has helped me learn in the last two days!
I'm getting closer to that Eureka moment!
I can taste it!

No ridges!!
No shelving!
Matches perfectly all the way around.
The date...
The word ONE.
Machine double in the E in United.
The C.
Last, but not least, some railroad rim on the Reverse.
20190215_224110_HDR.jpg
20190215_224814_HDR.jpg
20190215_225254_HDR.jpg
Capture+_2019-02-15-23-00-02.png
Capture+_2019-02-15-22-54-04.png
20190215_224752_HDR.jpg
20190215_225744_HDR.jpg
20190215_225700_HDR.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sorry to say it but it appears to be plating slippage which may have been caused by too much pressure exerted on the design elements. Note: The doubling effect is toward the rim all the way around the coin and never toward one direction which I believe is due to pressure forcing outward from the center of the coin's planchet. As always, I could be wrong in my assessment and welcome other opinions! It is a learning process even to me who is rapidly approaching my 66 year mark.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely in the plating. Keep up your quest, you'll get there.

You might find this LINK to Doubleddies.com helpful. If you scroll down about 1/3 of the way Wexler has some good info on the different classes of doubled dies. ie which is actual die doubling from the hubbing process and not MD. I found it helpful when getting back into the hobby.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're welcome.
John Wexler is one of only two sites currently attributing new varieties, mostly 1c & 5c doubled dies, that I know of.
The other is Dr. Wiles for Variety Vista (CONECA) who does all denominations I believe.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Something really exciting, but I know that you should NEVER clean coins... But I have probably several hundred Wheaties, Indians, LC's and a few flying eagle cents that are still to the day completely encrusted with dirt/grime.
My father's ghost haunts me about coin Cleaning lol!
But last night.. Poltergeist be damned..
I soaked five trial cents and one of them turned out VG grade 1909 no VDB.
Just think of the possibility of errors and varieties! /drool

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your Dad was a smart man, and you too for paying attention throughout the years.

There is such a thing as conserving modern coins, especially to be able to see the date and details. Soaking seems to be acceptable for us amateurs. They say never wipe the surface of a coin, but dab the surface to remove anything.
One well respected coin collector that is a chemist (inventor of Verdi-care for copper cents) got very specific, ion transfer and such, on a thread one time and said for really built up grime and gunk, start with a 10 minute soak in distilled water (no minerals in it), followed by 10 minutes in acetone and then 10 minutes in Xylene. I believe he said to rinse in fresh distilled water after each of the other soaks to remove any latent residue.

If that doesn't do much, reverse the sequence.

If it is still in need of TLC follow the same procedure as above but for 24 hours max instead of 10 minutes. And treat with the Verdi-care.

Best of luck with your efforts.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like your Dad was a smart man, and you too for paying attention throughout the years.

There is such a thing as conserving modern coins, especially to be able to see the date and details. Soaking seems to be acceptable for us amateurs. They say never wipe the surface of a coin, but dab the surface to remove anything.
One well respected coin collector that is a chemist (inventor of Verdi-care for copper cents) got very specific, ion transfer and such, on a thread one time and said for really built up grime and gunk, start with a 10 minute soak in distilled water (no minerals in it), followed by 10 minutes in acetone and then 10 minutes in Xylene. I believe he said to rinse in fresh distilled water after each of the other soaks to remove any latent residue.

If that doesn't do much, reverse the sequence.

If it is still in need of TLC follow the same procedure as above but for 24 hours max instead of 10 minutes. And treat with the Verdi-care.

Best of luck with your efforts.

Hey, thanks for the information!
I really appreciate it.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will add that for really encrusted coins with dirt from being in the ground, I will use a hydrogen peroxide soak to get the caked on dirt off (started doing this for a couple of ancients I received). Usually over night but go at a pace that is comfortable to you. It is no miracle and will still be a details grade but at least you can see the date when you are done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread