Over date?

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
The same coin as my Holy Mercury dime post.
I can't tell what is going on here. I simply don't have enough knowledge.
There looks like an 8 under the 8.
A 1 or something out of the bottom of the Bust.
It is NOT a crack. All raised areas.
Any opinions are welcome.
Capture+_2019-02-23-10-51-01.png
20190218_161132_HDR.jpg
Screenshot_2019-02-23-10-56-10.png
Screenshot_2019-02-23-10-56-21.png

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While it would be nice to view the coin up close and personal, I am leaning towards a new Doubled or Tripled Die Obverse Variety but could be wrong. It appears that there is definitely part of a 1918 Date struck in the lower part of the neck of the bust and possibly another Date Southeast of that which is partially hidden by the primary Date. You might want to consider sending the coin to an Coneca Variety Attributer for attribution.

https://conecaonline.org/attribution-services/

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what you're seeing Frank, but it's possible it could be a clash remnant also. Wouldn't hurt to have it looked at.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay now I'm confused again lol
I thought that planned changes are varieties?
Gah!
So much to learn, so little time!

Errors are things that happen after the die is made and during the striking process. Varieties are anything in the design on the die when it's made. They also can be on the hub.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
While it would be nice to view the coin up close and personal, I am leaning towards a new Doubled or Tripled Die Obverse Variety but could be wrong. It appears that there is definitely part of a 1918 Date struck in the lower part of the neck of the bust and possibly another Date Southeast of that which is partially hidden by the primary Date. You might want to consider sending the coin to an Coneca Variety Attributer for attribution.

https://conecaonline.org/attribution-services/

Frank.. I'll gladly send any of these coins if you want to actually see them.. Just tell me where to send them to.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank.. I'll gladly send any of these coins if you want to actually see them.. Just tell me where to send them to.

It would be best to send the Mercury Dime in to the appropriate Coneca Variety Attributer. They will assess whether it is a Doubled or Tripled Die Variety and if so and a new Variety, they will enter it into the records with you as the person who discovered it and your' 1918 Mercury Dime will be the Discovery Specimen. That in itself, will make the coin very desirable and sought after!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I see what you're seeing Frank, but it's possible it could be a clash remnant also. Wouldn't hurt to have it looked at.

I considered that but can't find anything on the Reverse that would look like the "1" and "8" in the Date and be of similar or identical size if it were a clash.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very desirable and sought after? I'm kinda dense.
In the world that I grew up in, a coin was only as good as its condition. This thing isn't much to look at. Die varieties add substantial value?

1)They can add value. Supply and demand can add value. Demand can be driven by coin community buzz.

2) A clash is the after effects of the obverse and reverse dies coming together without a planchet in place. Each side can have an impression of the opposite side and can be minimal or dramatic.

3)When thinking of coin varieties, most people have heard of the 1955 doubled die 001. That is a variety.
(A variety of dog might be a chocolate or golden lab.)

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Not all Varieties are highly or even moderately sought after and because of this, a coin with a specific Variety may be valued less than a coin of the same Date and Mint of equal grade that is normal (i.e. without the Variety). Such is the case of the 1909-S over Horizontal S Lincoln Cent versus a normal 1909-S Lincoln Cent of the same grade. Now, when a new Variety is discovered and word gets out through all of the channels, it is often highly sought after as Collectors, Coin Dealers and Coin Experts alike often vie to obtain a specimen of the Variety or the Discovery Coin itself. Cases in point, are the 1992-P and 1992-D "Close AM" Lincoln Cents and the 1982-D "Small Date Copper" Lincoln Cent which have sold for big money and have nearly every Collector, Coin Dealer and Coin Expert out there scrambling to find one of these Varieties. Sure, your' 1918 Mercury Dime may have a lot of wear and damage on it making it have less eye appeal but if it is a new previously undiscovered Variety, then folks will scramble to find one of the specimens and at the same time, the value of your' Mercury Dime will go up because supply is not and probably cannot meet the demand per se.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, thanks Frank.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to help.
I took the coin to a friend of my pops. He looked at it for 3 seconds and fell out of his chair.
Quoting his response.
"I can't believe that Tom left that sitting in that folder for all those years"
I guess I should submit it now.
Edit.. When shipping a coin like this, what insurance amount should I get?

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, thanks Frank.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to help.
I took the coin to a friend of my pops. He looked at it for 3 seconds and fell out of his chair.
Quoting his response.
"I can't believe that Tom left that sitting in that folder for all those years"
I guess I should submit it now.
Edit.. When shipping a coin like this, what insurance amount should I get?

You are welcome and I am glad that your Dad's friend also sees that the coin is special! I am sorry but I have no idea as to what value insurance-wise should be placed on the coin. However, think of what it is worth to you considering that it was your father's coin and besides possibly being a new Variety and the fact that it was his, makes it priceless in your' eyes. You might consult with the Coneca Attributer and see what he has to say.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread