Clash or?

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Still learning.
1965 quarter.
20190226_175401_HDR.jpg
20190226_175413_HDR.jpg
Capture+_2019-02-15-13-38-03.png
Capture+_2019-02-15-14-11-36.png
Capture+_2019-02-15-14-23-45.png
Two vertical lines next to the 5 and a S in between the 6 and the 5.
I really don't understand clashes or strike through coins. There's too much info.
Edit. I forgot the crack along the base of the Bust.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry but those are not Die Clashes or Counter Die Clashes (now that term is going to throw a fly in your soup, LOL) and we have already visited the 1965 Quarter! I am almost certain that something was against the coin or attached to the coin as Die Clashes are inset on a coin while Counter Die Clashes are raised on a coin. Both are somewhat confusing and believe it or not, even some of the Experts get them confused but I will try to explain. A Die Clash occurs when a Planchet is not fed into the Striking Chamber when the previous coin is ejected, thus causing the Hammer Die to slam into the Anvil Die. Due to this, the images...lettering...Date and any Mint Mark on the Obverse Die get transferred onto the Reverse Die and in turn, any images and lettering of the Reverse Die get transferred to the Obverse Die. These are raised on the Die, so when a Planchet is fed into the Striking Chamber and struck into a coin, the Die Clashes from the Dies are inset. A Counter Die Clash occurs when a again another Planchet is not fed into the Striking Chamber that contains Die Clashed Dies and when the Hammer Die slams into the Anvil Die, not only is the primary images, details, lettering and any Date and Mint Mark transferred to the opposing Dies, the Clashed images, lettering and any Date and Mint Mark are also transferred back to their' original Dies and thus transferred onto a Planchet being struck. Since Counter Die Clashes are inset on the Dies, they show up as raised images, lettering and any Date and Mint Mark on a struck coin. Most often, Counter Die Clashes are not seen or overlooked as one Die has to be offset from it's intended position for these to be seen or noticed. However, they become very noticeable when problems with feeding the next Planchet into the Striking Chamber occurs over and over which causes the Dies to slam together many, many times. This will then cause images, lettering and any Date and Mint Mark to be raised on the coin (i.e. Obverse details on the Reverse and Reverse details on the Obverse of a coin) because of Dies suffering numerous Counter Die Clashes. These are the ones that are most often confused as Die Clashes when they are not. Hell, who knows, I may have confused myself.:icon_scratch::laughing9: Just remember, Die Clashing is inset on a coin and Counter Die Clashing is raised on a coin.

http://www.maddieclashes.com/adc-5c-2000-02/

http://www.maddieclashes.com/cclti-5c-1966-01/

http://www.maddieclashes.com/type-ii-counter-clash/

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread