Cracks and an extra 5?

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope that I didn't post this already.
Crack from the rim through the E in WE through the top of Lincolns head.
Another crack from the bottom of the U in Trust.
What appears to be a 5 between the U and S in Trust.
Screenshot_2019-02-17-17-30-01.png
Capture+_2019-02-26-18-25-26.png
Capture+_2019-02-27-00-52-40.png

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, it is a Die Crack from the rim through the "E" in WE and continuing through Lincoln's hair. However, the crack from the bottom of the "U" in UNUM and traveling Southeast across the Obverse as well as what you say appears to be a "5" are lamination cracks only and nothing more.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
By the way, if that mercury dime is the real deal, I'd like to include you as a discovery source.
If that would be okay.

How about you and your' Dad since it was in his' collection and he apparently saw that there was something special about the coin and tucked it away??!! I think that that would be more appropriate and would also be a way to honor his memory.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, that's just the thing. My dad kept ALL of the finds that I made during the late 70's and most of the 80's.
Somewhere in my posts a week or so back, I made a comment about cleaning coins.
That's what started this error coin hunt.
My pops was about condition. We all know that silver and especially copper come out with a little and a lot of dirt on them.
Because I knew never to clean coins, the pockets full of silver that I would find daily, were never looked at until recently.
My dad's ghost is going to go full on poltergeist!
I've been cleaning up all of those coins that were just caked with dirt and grime.
I found that mercury dime metal detecting and I know that without any doubt because of the embarrassing X scratched into the reverse of the coin.
My brothers also detected and dad would store their coins too.
Since I was so young and dumb and my brothers were laying claim to my finds... I started scratching an X onto every coin that I found! Doh!!
You don't even want to see the coins that I dug that look like they were dropped the day that they were minted!! That have either a tiny x or a big X or both!
I was eight years old!.

So yeah, I found that coin.
In my excitement of looking at my coins after cleaning some up and discovering some of those errors, I went to the bank and got some of dad's nickels and started going through those.
I didn't mean to mix them up.
More importantly, I didn't want to admit that I cleaned dug coins and betrayed my pops. He was diligent.

So yeah, without your direct contribution and my wife's insistence that I not be negative and ask if these are anything other than the melt coins that I thought they were.

Your experience and knowledge of these coins literally found and saved these errors.
That's why I want to include you Frank.

Mike.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the explanation and information! If you really want, you can include me as a co-founder of the Variety, that is, if in fact it is a new Variety. Who am I to refuse such a request!

My name is: Frank Ferrell

Thanks!

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a really horrible example of how I marked my coins as a child.
A giant M for Mike across the obverse and reverse of a 29s merc.
20190227_205909_HDR.jpg
1551319638058622603273.jpg

I feel like a putz lol!
Edit... That dirt has to go!
I must see the details!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread