jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(Pelham, AL) — The newest edition of the coin hobby’s annual Guide Book of United States Coins(popularly known as the “Red Book”) will debut on April 9, 2019, two weeks before National Coin Week. The 73rd edition (with a cover date of 2020) features extensively updated pricing and auction data reflecting the current market for collectible coins, which has seen dramatic ups and downs in the past year. The Red Book can be pre-ordered online in several formats and will be available from booksellers and hobby shops nationwide.

000aaa.jpg

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always had a feeling that the Red Book may manipulate prices too. Too many people go by the book. These are great for a coin dealer to sell to people that buy from them. Because most of the time you can sell for way less than what that book says. But it sucks trying to buy from people that think their coins are worth what that book says. :laughing7: I guess it's the same with any price guide. I like the "grey sheets" for coins but I haven't had any in years they are a little pricey.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always had a feeling that the Red Book may manipulate prices too. Too many people go by the book. These are great for a coin dealer to sell to people that buy from them. Because most of the time you can sell for way less than what that book says. But it sucks trying to buy from people that think their coins are worth what that book says. :laughing7: I guess it's the same with any price guide. I like the "grey sheets" for coins but I haven't had any in years they are a little pricey.

Yea Pricey Because Dealers Use them. & dealers got $$$$

Add to that the Less the Public Knows about Gray Sheet Priceing
The better odds Dealers can get more. so I think it was sort of
Frowned upon to Sell it to the Public.

I Used to Like Coin World Weekly

When I was a Kid, One of My Neighbors used to Subscribe to it.
I used to Deliver Newspapers. So when I would stop in to
Collect once a Month, He'd also give me the Months back Issues he had on hand.

After I gave up the Paper Route I Subscribed for Several Years, Then sort of
Drifted away from It. But was an Interesting Weekly for Pricing,
Both Sell & Buy

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I might still have a couple of coin worlds around from when I was a kid. I use to get them at the grocery store back when they use to have the magazine racks in them.:laughing7: I remember getting the treasure magazines too.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I might still have a couple of coin worlds around from when I was a kid. I use to get them at the grocery store back when they use to have the magazine racks in them.:laughing7: I remember getting the treasure magazines too.

yep

Treasure Search, Treasure Found, Treasure were 3 , I Used to Watch for..

Them & Flying Saucer Mags. :tongue3:
There was always a New one with a new title, But Rarely a Second Issue of them.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never saw the flying saucer mags. That I remember. I'll bet they are collectable now!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea I do wish i had them yet.

There was an ad I think in the Back of Coin world once,
Of a Guy advertising that he was Buying UFO Mags.
I Ended up Selling them to Him at a Stupid Low Price :(

Should have at Least held out for a Profit Instead of Loss

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope the new coin book helps us coin collecters a little

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought the 2019, I thought it was going to be good for almost a year and now they have the 2020? I guess like cars, the 2020 models will be out in a few months. I kind of go by what the average sell price was on feeBay. A lot less than the red book.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought the 2019, I thought it was going to be good for almost a year and now they have the 2020? I guess like cars, the 2020 models will be out in a few months. I kind of go by what the average sell price was on feeBay. A lot less than the red book.

Yep ! EBay's the Best Coin Price Guide around.
You can even Compare actual Pics of Conditions

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dramatic market changes? Like 1955DDO MS coins down 25% in value. Or lack of new folks coming into the hobby? That kind of thing?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I believe the 'Grey Sheet' format has changed over the past year or 2 , I like to buy Coins by it's prices or even 'The Blue Book ' .

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never saw the flying saucer mags. That I remember. I'll bet they are collectable now!

The National Enquirer was my UFO Mag/paper + There was the UFO mag from the dude from 'The UFO Hunters TV show' around 15 years ago.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the 'Grey Sheet' format has changed over the past year or 2 , I like to buy Coins by it's prices or even 'The Blue Book ' .

I'd only Buy Silver Coins.
and than, only at 10% Below Melt Value.

& Feel that's a Bit High !

Free out of The Ground is Much More Satisfying :coffee2:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started buying the red book, it was hardcover and cost about 2.95. The hardcovers were easier to shelve than the new spiral-bound, but for a reference book, I much prefer the lay-flat utility of the spiral bound construction.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My newest red book is 1987.

I replaced my 1982 edition with a 2019 last summer. It is much improved, has far more content and this cheapskate recommends it.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i have a blue book and a red book

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Red Book is passé. Its necessity as a reference has waned with the advent of specialized websites geared to specific coin series. Values, as has already been mentioned, are much more accurately gauged from eBay and other auction sites. It's now a novelty purchased mostly for nostalgia and supposed collectibilty than any actual usefulness. And I've never understood the 8-month window between the cover date and the actual year it depicts. It always struck me as exploitive. Even 2020 cars won't be available until Sept.

One thing I've learned after 40+ years of collecting is that pricey reference books are the bread and butter of hobby giants like Whitman, Krause and others. As the internet's influence grew and book sales dropped, they had to find a way to repackage things, hence you get the giant Mega Red editions with heavy pricetags yet offering little extra that can't be found online.

The last Red Book I bought was in 2012. I keep it handy for quick mintage references now and then, but I haven't used it for pricing in decades.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions