OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Did anyone ever hear how this turned out? I did a Google News search, but didn't find anything recent.

Never mind. I added "penny" to the existing search criteria "Trickett" on my Google search and found this, and the news is actually pretty good:

A penny that saved a British soldierā€™s life in the First World War has just been bought by his grandson for Ā£5,445

Turns out that this story turned out alright after all. His granddaughter auctioned the penny for charity, and it was bought by his grandson, Nigel Trickett, who is a cousin of the granddaughter. The granddaughter, Maureen Coulson was "shocked" to find that her cousin bought it. From the article:

Mr Trickett, 55, who runs a carpet business in Owston Ferry, near Doncaster, said: ā€˜Private Trickett was my granddad and we wanted to keep the medals and penny in the family.

ā€˜It will be handed down. Itā€™s where it belongs and weā€™ll take a lot of pride in showing it to the family members.

ā€˜When the story went viral it brought 50 members of the family together ā€“ we all got in touch with each other.

ā€˜My granddadā€™s story is very interesting and true. Everything wouldnā€™t have happened in our family the way it has without that penny.

I still think there was something shifty about his granddaughter selling it in the first place, but it all worked out in the end; the penny is still in the family, and the money supposedly went to charity. And after all this I suspect that it will now always remain in the family, even if the granddaughter is never invited to Boxing Day celebrations ever again...

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Mom had a half dollar that was in the shirt pocket of one of her relatives that looked just like that

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread