jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Belmont chronicle. (St. Clairsville, Ohio), 22 Aug. 1878.

000aaa.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...&proxValue=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=138

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That doesn't sound quite right to me, since they're 90% silver just like the other dollar coins of that era, but, they weigh a bit more......27.22 grams vs. 26.73 grams. Maybe the value of silver had dipped about that time for whatever reason. I think they probably still had a full dollar purchasing power. Kinda like our coins today! Virtually worthless intrinsically, but, they have purchasing power as long as we believe they do.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
That doesn't sound quite right to me, since they're 90% silver just like the other dollar coins of that era, but, they weigh a bit more......27.22 grams vs. 26.73 grams. Maybe the value of silver had dipped about that time for whatever reason. I think they probably still had a full dollar purchasing power. Kinda like our coins today! Virtually worthless intrinsically, but, they have purchasing power as long as we believe they do.

I thought exactly what you did and then I thought about how old mining towns operated.
Many coal mines had their own currency in an effort to lock their slaves in place and force them to buy everything from the company store.
Where I'm going with this, is there may have been more to the story with the trade dollars...may have only been able to spend them in a certain place.

BC

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought the Trade Dollar was originally intended for FOREIGN TRADE, not domestic use. For domestic use we had the Morgan. That Trade $ would be similar to today's ASE, with nearly 1-ounce of silver.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the Trade Dollar was originally intended for FOREIGN TRADE, not domestic use. For domestic use we had the Morgan. That Trade $ would be similar to today's ASE, with nearly 1-ounce of silver.

I dug one years ago,

1877.jpg 1877trade.jpg

I've rarely seen them found on here.
I always Figured Travelers lost them.
but if they actually did Circulate here for a Short Time,
There could be Many More out there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions