U.S. Quarters “W” Mintmark 2019

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just announced v

U.S. Mint announces ?W? mint mark circulating quarter collectible | Coin Update

3B2D3D87-0DFD-4866-8252-40F0540D4585.jpeg

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some apparently were released 20 miles south of me, so hoping to find some.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the heads up

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope everyone uses this "Thread" as the anchor to report all findings of the big W quarter search of the when where & how it was found. Should make it interesting to read & follow.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
I rarely get or carry change now a days. I’ll be missing out!

g

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
they say in circulation in 4 to 6 weeks. Here in Phoenix, I have yet to find ANY of the last 3 quarters from 2018. Even searching boxes, nothing has come out here yet on quarters. I take a trip back east and in one week of just eating at fast food places and such I get a handful of 2018 coins. Yet in Phoenix, I have about the same amount after a year of active looking. And again, none of the last three quarters. yet. So who knows when these W mint marks will show up out here.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would guess they will be distributed to all of the 12 Federal Reserve Banks and the 24 Federal Reserve Branches so they can be distributed evenly?
Fed. Res. LINK .

The question is whether someone will have advance notice because of an "in" they have with someone working there about when or where they have gone to a business.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Pete55: I've read the notice differently from the mint, in that the production of the first 2-mil W qtrs, they will be sending 1-mil each to both the Denver & Philly mints, "to be inter-mixed into regular commerce production & distribution of the P & D qtrs". In so doing will avoid a FULL BOX or even a FULL ROLL to be packaged & bought by an individual bank or customer. Big Dealer accounts are not going to be included this time, they will have to get them from their local bank just like the rest of us.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pete55: I've read the notice differently from the mint, in that the production of the first 2-mil W qtrs, they will be sending 1-mil each to both the Denver & Philly mints, "to be inter-mixed into regular commerce production & distribution of the P & D qtrs". In so doing will avoid a FULL BOX or even a FULL ROLL to be packaged & bought by an individual bank or customer. Big Dealer accounts are not going to be included this time, they will have to get them from their local bank just like the rest of us.

Thanks Dozer. :icon_thumright:
That sounds like a good plan to give everyone a shot, as long as a Fed. employee at the "mixing point" didn't sneak one to a buddy! :censored:

It also sounds like the release of the W quarters may have been done in conjunction with the "Great American Coin Hunt" happening the last full week of the month.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one in a roll. Yippee! The one article I read said they were minting 10 million of them and not letting them go in full boxes. For comparison a recent mintage for any given year on a quarter is 200-400 million.

ILikeMoney

Dec 21, 2014
OHIO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey, If you don’t mind me asking... was a solid roll of 2019 or a mix and what state are you in?

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one in a roll. Yippee! The one article I read said they were minting 10 million of them and not letting them go in full boxes. For comparison a recent mintage for any given year on a quarter is 200-400 million.

That is a pretty scarce mintage.

(BTW- The $5000 PCGS contest for the first Lowell quarter submitted already had 2 winners yesterday who will share the prize.)

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Smokey: yes it will be a RARE coin to find. West Point is ONLY going to produce 2-million of EACH of the five national parks series this year, thats where the 10-mil comes from. As each state park comes up for production during the year, WP will send 1-mil to each of the other mints to inter-mix with the bigger production outputs of the P&D mint marks.
Consider yourself very very lucky to have found one already.
Can you post a pic of the Obv & Rev so we all can see it taken out of the wild.

This W-series quarters will be almost as rare as the 1909-s-vdb cent, 1916-d Merc dime, 1950-D nickel. Trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread